cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring roaming between APs not working

David Graham
Level 1
Level 1

I have multiple 1131 APs and 1231 APs. They are set up around our office space and warehouse so that we can take our laptops and wireless ip phones anywhere. This is new and I am running into an issue with my setup.

When I go to wander in the building, I seem to be stuck on 1 AP. My laptop does not move to the stronger signal of the closest AP. Even when I fal out of range, no other AP picks it up.

Just to get us going I used WEP authentication in mandatory mode. Will WEP support the wandering between access points or does this need to wait for me to switch over to EAP? Does this even make sense?

BTW - all access points are running IOS 12.3.8. Laptops are running Windows XP. Sorry about such a simplistic question but this is throwing me for a loop.

6 Replies 6

b.hsu
Level 5
Level 5

All the APs should be configured with the same security settings for roaming to happen, That is for a specific SSID the security parameters should be the same on the client and the APs.

All are (unfortunately) set up the same. Cisco TAc asked if I had WDS enabled. I did not but I did enable it still with no luck. The nice person at TAC is looking at my show tech now to see if she can figure out what is wrong.

And I thought settign this up was going to be easy.

Dave

Hello

try to turn off all authentication and then see what happends. Do you use a Laptop with internal Centrinum Card?

best regards

Oliver

matthiasgoodman
Level 1
Level 1

If you are using the Windows XP built-in Zero Config, that may be your problem. I would recommend checking with your laptop manufacuturer for the latest software for wireless. If you have Centrino you may get good results with the Intel client. It has done well for me. Note that they just came out with a new version that fixed some connection stability problems. It is available at http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-010623.htm .

jcornford
Level 1
Level 1

Can you post your running configs on here from the AP you're connecting to ok, and the one nearest you that doesn't work when you expect it too? (confused?). Strip out your passwords B4 posting!

dulle
Level 1
Level 1

Even running open authentication on the AP's I lose 3-12 pings before my laptop will switch to the new AP. This will be a problem when we implement IP phones on the wlan. TAC didn't have an answer for this issue.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card