Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring WDS Bridge Cisco WAP321

robinvaningen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

One of our customers has a specific need on how to configure 2 wireless access points. They've got 2 incoming WAN connections. WAN1 is on de 1st floor and WAN2 is on the 2nd floor, the two floors are not and can not be connected with an UTP cable. They want to able to connect to both WAN1 and WAN2 wirelessly on both floors. Unfortunately 1 access point on both floors doesn’t cut it. The wireless signal is not strong enough for access point 1 to reach to the 2nd floor and vice versa.

My idea was to configure both access point to repeat each other while still broadcasting their own wireless signal. So: WAN1 will be broadcasted on both access points and WAN2 will be broadcasted on both access points. Is the possible?

Thanks,

Robin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

A repeater can only broadcast one SSID which it is associated to, but every hop is half the throughput and to be honest, it doesn't work well.  Performance is very slow if you ask me.  The best way really is to use a WLC205 and run AP's in MESH which works well, but that might not be a choice you have.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This being said:

The wireless signal is not strong enough for access point 1 to reach to the 2nd floor and vice versa.

There would be no way to even repeat the signal from one AP to another ap on the other floor.  You really need to look at this design again and try to find another workaround solution.  Running cable seems like your only option right now, or keeping the two floor separate.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Thanks for your response,

Sorry that sentence was a little misguiding. The signal is strong enough to reach the other floor. But not strong enough to reach all the rooms on the other floor. So a repeater could extend the signal. But my question is: would it be able to also broadcast its own WIFI signal?

A repeater can only broadcast one SSID which it is associated to, but every hop is half the throughput and to be honest, it doesn't work well.  Performance is very slow if you ask me.  The best way really is to use a WLC205 and run AP's in MESH which works well, but that might not be a choice you have.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

hmm.. in that case i might have to look at other options. Maybe an extra access point. Thanks for your help!

No problem.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card