cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Confusion with the 1131AG access point

David Graham
Level 1
Level 1

I am sooooo confused with this device. I finally have been anle to connect to it using a console port but I am not seeing what I would think I should see.

Background: I have the access point connected to the network. It is getting an ip through a DHCP reservation so it is always 172.16.31.227. I can ping the AP without issue. I can not telnet to it or connect with a web browser. In fact, if I go to a command prompt and issue telnet 172.16.31.227 80 or even just telnet 172.16.31.227 I get that the the connection could not be opened on the host.

So I connect a console cable. I can connect to the AP this way and I can issue the enable command. Doing a sh run gives me all of this crypto stuff. I can not perform a configure terminal because the configure comand does not exist. I looked at a previous post and it looks like standard IOS. attached is my show ver and my sh run.

Can anyone give me a clue as to how to be able to connect to this freaking thing? Any help would be appreciated since this does not look like anything in the documentation or in previous posts.

Dave

7 Replies 7

mirek.tichy_2
Level 1
Level 1

You have disabled access on all vty lines by

transport input none

put config commands :

line vty 0 15

transport input all (or transport input telnet)

end

write

Unfortunately, I can not even get into a place where I can configure the lines. I can log in from the console and type enable, but from there I have no means to configure anything. I hav eno conf t command available (not to mention no configure command) to be able to do anything. Is there something beside the conf command I can use?

I have the EXACT problem with 10 brand new 1131AG out of the box.

They all get a DHCP address, I can PING them, but that's it. Can't telnet, can't establish an HTTP session to enter initial setup... and NO CONFIG commands available via a console session. Quite frustrating...

I've opened a ticket with TAC, has been escalated, still no answers.. waiting for a call back.

Anyone got answers on this??

TAC bozo just called back, it appears that the 1131AG gets shipped out with a "light weight" / LWAPP flavour of IOS, that will only work with a centralized WLSE... in order to make it work for those of us in smaller network environments that don't budget for over-priced/useless_to_us devices, we need to install a different "autonomous" flavour of IOS to make it work.... just lovely Cisco!!! Thanks a lot for taking us smaller markets into consideration. Thanks a lot to my reseller/Cisco_Gold_Partner for informing me of this caveat when this product was being recommended to me/ordered!!

Got 10 brand new ones, on a time-limited project... guess who's weekend just got trashed?!

Unreal.........

Oh.. and it took a full afternoon & several TAC "wireless" engineers (one of which could NOT speak english!!) to figure this out.

How can you tell which flavour of IOS that you have?

JX is the LWAPP code and JA is IOS. You should be able to downgrade the LWAPP to IOS by using the "Mode button" TFTP procdure.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_release_note09186a00804fc3b6.html#wp150990

I ended up calling TAC also and got the image to download. It was the 12.3.7 version, I believe. Installed that and everything was working. Then, I tried to get them connected to the WLSE. 12.3.7 did not support an 1131 or 1200 series AP "downgraded" to use an IOS image instead of LWAPP. The 12.3.8 release that came out on 2 Mar fixed that issue.

All I can say is that this is way too confusing. The must like getting TAC calls! The TAC person actually resolved this in about 2 hours for me. I must have gotten lucky.

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card