Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Connecting two buildings together wirelessly

Hello All,

We have a location wishing to implement a WLAN across two buildings 300 metres apart.  We will be implementing a WLC based solution using 1242 LWAPP access points. I have been reading various threads and they seem to suggest the LWAPP 1242 do not support bridging and in order to connect the two buildings via wireless,two autonomous 1242s with external directional antennas are required.

Could anyone point me in the right direction to obtain any documentation to achieve integrating the autonomous APs with the LWAPP solution?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

2 REPLIES

Re: Connecting two buildings together wirelessly

The problem with using two LWAPP units is that the remote unit has no way of communicating with the controller in order to get its configuration.

In a situation like this, I prefer to use the 1300 series bridges with the integrated antenna as this will work fine for the distance you have.  You can use the LWAPP version for the root bridge but not for the remote.  You really need to make sure that you have clear line of site and have enough height.

Seth

Re: Connecting two buildings together wirelessly

Raj,

As Seth has indicated the the 1242AG in LWAPP mode doesn't support bridging; I will second Seth's comments that the best option available to you is the 1300 bridges or 1400 bridges with the appropriate antenna selection depending on the distance between them. I personally prefer to have the bridge links be IOS Autonomous even though it's a bit more managment.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to rate it.

Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies