Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Connecting two LAN's

Hi,

I’ve got two ethernet LAN’s in two buildings separated 200 meters one from the other. I need to connect both networks by means of a wireless link. I could easily achieve it with two bridges (e.g. BR342) with directional or patch antennae, but that solution is too expensive, especially for a very short distance as 200 meters is.

I would like to know whether it is possible to connect the two networks with two PCI 342 cards (in ad hoc mode, for instance) with directional or patch antennae, installed on two Windows 95 machines, one on each network. Both ethernets are IP networks, so there must be routing issues to be considered if PCI 342 cards are used, issues that wouldn’t exist if bridges were used instead.

Here are my doubts:

Can the two ethernets be connected with PCI 342 cards in the way I intend to ?

If yes, how do I route between the two LAN’s , considering that the PCI 342 cards will be on Windows 95 machines ?

Can anyone help me to figure out this problem as I myself don’t fully realize how to implement this solution with PCI 342 cards ?

Thank you for your support.

Fernando Ronci

E-mail: fernandoronci@hotmail.com

PS: Additional info that may help. Each LAN is very simple. Each ethernet segment is comprised of Windows 95 and 98 workstations connected to a HUB in a star-like manner.

1 REPLY

Re: Connecting two LAN's

Windows 95 cetrainly can't route. I would think if the antenna's are installed properly you can reach that far. Even with Infrastructure mode you'll need a router to route between the two networks unless they're on the same subnet (bridging only). I wouldn't attempt this in ad hoc... reliabilty and performance would be my reasoning. But it may be possible. Anyone else have some comments/suggestions?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content