Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting two networks with wireless bridges

Hello all,

We are trying to create a true CAN. We have 2 sets of 2 buildings each. One set is on the 172.23.x.x network and the other set is on the 172.25.x.x network. Each set has routing in place to go out over their respective MPLS circuits (which will be removed once this project is done). Each set also has their own vtp domain each containing ~30 vlans.

Right now, there is a wireless bridge at each set of buildings and they can reach each other fine according to the vendor. I am trying to figure out an efficient way to tie these two networks together keeping their current vlan and local topology in place.

Site 1:

Vlan 1: 172.23.1.x

Wireless bridge: 172.25.1.x

Site 2:

Vlan 1: 172.25.1.x

Wireless bridge: 172.25.1.x

Any help is appreciated. The idea is that all traffic from site two will now traverse the wireless bridge and use all resources and routing available at site 1.

11 REPLIES

you need to create the bridge in one of the subnets, and then the other site is going to do the routing, every site is going to be getting out in it's own network circuit, but with connection to the other network.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008058f53e.shtml

let us know if you need anything else bro.

Right, I understand what you are saying... sort of. I am going to have to blow away the current config of one of the switches when it comes to their routing, vlans, access lists, etc. I am basically going to taking one AS and turning its infrastructure into access switches.

The wireless bridges are aruba bridges.

Silver

A typical wireless solution that you are implemention will be as follow

However there are certains things that you mut consider before deploying the above, that is

• •1.     Amount of traffic that you are expection
  • •2.     AP link throughout (perffer cisco new 1500 series) if required use ACL  to filter the traffic
  • •3.     And a backup to the wireless if its fails (depends upone the criticality of the data passing through the briges)

Rest of the internal LAN  of both sites are not to much concern as you have already deployed the security and necessary config  for it.

That is the direction I was beginning to move in. Right now, however, I have been told by the vendor that the bridges must be on the same subnet, which makes access the one bridge (172.25.1.x) from the subnet where I reside (172.23.1.x) very difficult.

The aruba wireless bridges do support vlans and access lists, but getting into them thus far has not been that much of a pleasure. I was thinking of putting in place an ip alias.

Silver

yes the bridges must be in the same vlan but if you have L3 switch you donot need any major configuration it will be as simple as pluging two cable (wired) once your wireless PTP link is working.

Right, I understand... This is what I planned on doing anyways, I just have two networks connecting over a wireless bridge with L3 switches on both sides.

The one side is losing all their WAN circuits. All traffic outside of their LAN will go across the wireless bridge now and be routed once on the other side.

Silver

Re: Connecting two networks with wireless bridges

Wel it does not matter i have also deployed such requirement as long as your routing skill is fine you can easyly manage the access and if you have any specific quest do feel free to ask.

If you consider wireless PTP bridge as physical cable and rest becone very easy and if yo want one site to access the other location just add the router on L3 device and if required either manges the right using ACL or you application right are enough .Try to focus on the big picture it will help you to achive the work every easly. Also if you need any guidence in regards to configuration just share your network topology and current and req config. It will help me to provide the exact solution .

Here is an issue as well... The wireless bridges are not going to pass layer 3 information, only layer 2. Problem I am current;y experiencing is that there are VLANs built locally that are the same identifiers as on the far end however, they overlap with their addressing.

Silver

OK wel now the only solution left for you re-designing the IP addressing or if you want same  ip address either increase the scope or range of ip address per vlan or use DHCP server to provid Half the address to both sides. but the interface connecting interface must be a Layer 3 or Layer 2 ports.The only concern should be DHCP server vlan over lapping can be manage by Configuing VTP (Client/Server) .

(Switch) ====wireless------------------wireless====(switch)

Trunk (Layer2 port)                                                 Trunk (Layer2 port)

and for vlan just if one dhcp server  nothign to worry  and incase of multiple server just load balance it will also provide the reduncency in you network.

other option is simple using L3 approach and change the ip address only for resourches you want other people to access.

i saw this post and was

i saw this post and was hoping someone could shed some light on my issue:

Have 2 1510 Aps in a bridge that are talking fine, great SNR etc.  However, cannot get network traffic to pass between sites.  We get about 10% success pings, so wondering what else could cause the issue.  VLans?  Anything else?  thx

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Could be weather corroding

Could be weather corroding your ethernet or the bridge going bad.  If the ethernet wasn't protected using coax seal, the life time of the ethernet could be the issue.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content