Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Connectivity between 5508 and cisco 4507 switch

Hi,

I have 5508 WLC which i want to connect to cisco 4507 switch.configure the same port as a trunk.

And i could see that , compare to other WLC , this 5508 product has got some other parameters and some what different to configure.

I am confused to configure 4507 port configuration which will be connected to WLC.

As i understood , I can configure below commands for get connectivity with WLC 5508

4507 switch ( config ) # interface gig 1/1

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encapsulation

switchport trunk allowed vlan ...... ( no. )

no shut

and to configure DHCP ip pool for AP , below commands to be configured

4507 switch (config) # ip dhcp pool ..name of pool ...

network  192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0

default router 192.169.10.1

(config) # vlan 10

# name management

(config) #interface vlan 10

ip add 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

Please suggest me if i am wrong or whether i need to put some more commands in 4507 switch.

and about WLC 5508

how do i configure management interface and AP -manager interface along with IP address ( take example ) and in 5508  , AP - manager interface is an optional.

Please share initial configuration for WLC as well 4507 switch.

answer would be appreciative.

• Getting Started with Wireless
4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Connectivity between 5508 and cisco 4507 switch

The configuration on the switch looks good... make sure the native vlan is specified and allowed between the WLC and the switch..

The controller config..

Cisco 5500 Series Controllers, the management  interface acts like an AP-manager interface by default.

command to assing the ip for management.. is same as any other controller..

config interface address management <gateway>

Lemme know how this answered your question!!

Regards

Surendra

Bronze

What is your endgame?  Are you just trying to get your 5508 on the network using the management interface or are you trying to config

ure multiple interfaces for different wlans?  It's going to change how you approach your wlc interface configuration.

In my case, we have multiple interfaces (internal wireless and guest wireless) using different interfaces and vlan identifiers.

If you have a small deployment planned, you can always point everything to the management interface, though I don't recommend it.

As your users get used to using the wireless, the need will grow and you'll have to re-do it.

Get your hands on Cisco's 5500 configuration guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70ovrv.html

It will detail how to configure wlc interfaces (including virtual interfaces for web auth).

Ven

Ven Taylor

Hi,

Thanks for showing interest in my query.

My endgame is :

To achieve connecitvity WLC to  two different 4507 chassis  ( Switch 1 & Switch 2 ) which are configured with HSRP.

More details :

1) I have 10 3502i access points , 5 will be connected to switch 1 thourgh POE switch and another 5 will be connected to switch 2 ( Switch 1 & 2 are configured with HSRP / with two stanby group : so that i can achieve active/active redundancy )

2) WLC connectivity will be

WLC port 1 ( 1 gig port ) : gig 1/1 sw1 ( 4507 switch )

WLC port 2 ( 1 gig port ) : gig 1/1 sw2 ( 4507 switch )

3) sw1 and sw2 , both are configured for HSRP redundancy ( two standby groups are created to achieve active/active redundancy )

challage i am facing :

configuration of wlc 5508

interface configuration :

Management interface : Usually map with one physical port if you have only one physical but in this scenario , I have two physical interface ( port 1 & port 2 ) to two different 4507 chassis .

do i need map other port as a back-up port ?

Please light on this ?

AP-manager interfcae is optional but in this scenario , i believe , i need to go ahead to configure multiple AP-manager interface to divide the ap traffic in between two 4507 chassis ?

Please correct me if i am wrong .

what about other interface which will have problem to map with these two physical ports ?

Please find attached diagram for more details ?

Please suggest me for the same.

Cisco Employee

You're pretty much correct. If you split the WLC between 2 switches, you need to configure a backup port for the management, have an ap manager for each port you connected the WLC to. The client interfaces will have to be manually assigned to ports.

Problem with this is that a perfect load balancing is not achieved. LAG is the only way to do that (but only on one switch). If that's redundancy that you want, then you should be served.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.