Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Connectivity between ap and WLC

Hi,

I am new in Cisco Wireless network. I am going to install 4 AP in the Office and One Integeted Wireless Controller in my 3825 router. How does AP and Controller connectivity? Please help me out in this issue.

• Getting Started with Wireless
15 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Connectivity between ap and WLC

The communication between the wlc and lap is initially between the lap and the management interface of the wlc. When the lap joins the wlc, then the communication is between the lap and the ap-manager interface. Both the management and ap-manager interface should be on the same subnet. Here is a link that should walk you through setting up your device:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a00807112e2.shtml

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Thanks for your help.

I have cleared this connectivity. but in my network the Controller is integrated on Router, where in Controller one distributed port is there, how do I connect that one.

Can you plese give me that type of physical diagram and details, where the Controller is integrated with Router. Wireless as wel as wired users are there in the same LAN.

Take a look at the doc. Basically they are showing you logically how it is connected. They show the router and the wlc seperate just to give you an idea. Yes there is only one port, but you logically configure others to seperate you users from management. Sub-interfaces are created on the router to aloow the tagging of vlans from the wlc to the switch.

Here is another link that may help:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/12_4x/12_4xa/boxernm.html

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Where do I connect that distributed port? to connect all the LAP do I need to installed different Switch to Router? Physically how AP will be connected to Controller?

Yes you need a switch unless you have a switch module inbrhe router. This is where the ap's will connect.

Hi can you tell the physical location of the AP and WLC, is this must that would be in same network or between AP and WLC there can be 1 or more hop gap?

You can have L3 hops between the ap and the wlc... as long as you are not blocking upd 12222 or 12223. This would be the same setup if you had L3 connections from your closet to your core.

I have come to know that, NAC must be install in the same segment where WLC is to be installe. is it?

Or it can be install in different network or segment NAC and WLC. Do you have the configuration for NAC and whats the command would be in Switch.

Silver

With NAC 4.5 and WLC 5.1 release, the wireless NAC solution supports Out Of Band integration with NAC appliance. With earlier versions, NAC must be in-band.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.