Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

connectivity from 5508 to two different 4507 switches

Hi,

I have set up with 5508 controller which is connected to two different chassis ( Cisco 4507 switches ) . I have doubt about interface configuration on 5508 WLC.

How do i configure AP-manager interface with two physical ports on different chassis?

As i understood , we can configure AP-manager interface with only one port

In my set up we have configured HSRP with mentioned chassis ...

Please light on this confused concept.

how can i configure the interfaces with two physical ports on two different chassis ?

If anybody could send configuration sample , it would be great help for me to procees with.

Already there is query for the same in cisco forum but i could not understand properly.

Answer would be appreciative.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: connectivity from 5508 to two different 4507 switches

Hi,

I would advise you to go through the doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70mint.html.

For Cisco 5500 Series Controllers, you are not  required to configure an AP-manager interface. The management interface  acts like an AP-manager interface by default, and the access points can  join on this interface.

HTH,

Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Cisco Employee

Hi,

With multiple AP-manager interfaces, you can  connect your ports to different neighbor devices. If one of the neighbor  switches goes down, the controller still has connectivity. However,  using multiple AP-manager interfaces presents certain challenges when port redundancy is a concern.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70mint.html#wp1294453.

Before an access point joins a controller, it  sends out a discovery request. From the discovery response that it  receives, the access point can tell the number of AP-manager interfaces  on the controller and the number of access points on each AP-manager  interface. The access point generally joins the AP-manager with the  least number of access points. In this way, the access point load is  dynamically distributed across the multiple AP-manager interfaces.

Please note that access points may not be distributed completely  evenly across all of the AP-manager interfaces, but a certain level of  load balancing occurs.

Please make sure that:

Note Do  not define a backup port for an AP-manager interface. Port redundancy  is not supported for AP-manager interfaces. If the AP-manager interface  fails, all of the access points connected to the controller through that  interface are evenly distributed among the other configured AP-manager  interfaces.

Step 6 To make this interface an AP-manager interface, select the Enable Dynamic AP Management check box.

HTH,

Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I would advise you to go through the doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70mint.html.

For Cisco 5500 Series Controllers, you are not  required to configure an AP-manager interface. The management interface  acts like an AP-manager interface by default, and the access points can  join on this interface.

HTH,

Tiago

--

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I gone through the same document and understood that ap-manager interface is optional.

But If I want to connect two ports to two different chassis of 4507 , what kind of challanges i have ?

And in case I have 10 access point and i want to load share in between in these two switches , how do i configure WLC for this load-sharing .

As I mentioned , if you could send at least some configuration template or configuration to me .

It would be great help for me .

looking forward for your reply....

Cisco Employee

Hi,

With multiple AP-manager interfaces, you can  connect your ports to different neighbor devices. If one of the neighbor  switches goes down, the controller still has connectivity. However,  using multiple AP-manager interfaces presents certain challenges when port redundancy is a concern.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70mint.html#wp1294453.

Before an access point joins a controller, it  sends out a discovery request. From the discovery response that it  receives, the access point can tell the number of AP-manager interfaces  on the controller and the number of access points on each AP-manager  interface. The access point generally joins the AP-manager with the  least number of access points. In this way, the access point load is  dynamically distributed across the multiple AP-manager interfaces.

Please note that access points may not be distributed completely  evenly across all of the AP-manager interfaces, but a certain level of  load balancing occurs.

Please make sure that:

Note Do  not define a backup port for an AP-manager interface. Port redundancy  is not supported for AP-manager interfaces. If the AP-manager interface  fails, all of the access points connected to the controller through that  interface are evenly distributed among the other configured AP-manager  interfaces.

Step 6 To make this interface an AP-manager interface, select the Enable Dynamic AP Management check box.

HTH,

Tiago

--

Views
Helpful
Replies