cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connectivity problems with Multiple Root Bridges in the same Network

andries
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to extent the range of a radio network by connecting two Bridges back to back via an Ethernet crossover cable. Presently the one bridge is a non-root, which associate with the main root bridge at the core of this network. The second bridge has been configure as a root bridge and have a directional antennae which point away from the core network in the direction of a further set of bridges on this extended network.

My question is why do I not get IP connectivity from a bridge at the extended end, when associated with the back-to-back root bridge?

Could one have one root bridge in an extended set-up?

One constraint I have is that the bridge on this extended network is mobile and must also be able to associate Wireless bridges covered by the core .

5 Replies 5

d.nogueira
Level 1
Level 1

If I understood correctly what you have is two links connected together by an Ethernet crossover.

In this case you must configure each link with a diferent SSID and channel otherwise what you are going to get is a loop at the central point.

Hope this solves you problem.

No unfortunately id did not solve my problem.

I need to keep the same SSID as I need a Mobile bridge to connect to any of the stationary bridges along the way using the same SSID.

Look at my problem form the angle of providing Wireless Access to a mobile bridge along a long road. I would like to extend the range with directional antennas connected to Bridges connected Back-to-Back (Ethernet crossover) on my high site(s).

I think the solution is preventing the first bridge on the ethernet crossover from associating to the second one (second root) thus eliminating the loop . You can do that on the BR340 and though I have never tried it I think you can do it on the BR350. It is done forbiding association to the other bridges MAC address.

You’re right one could use the Parent ID feature to prevent unwanted association.

However I specifically would like to start each section with its own Root Bridge.

My original problem is however solved and the second root bridge work perfectly.

The problem pans out to be RF related.

Using the feature I mentioned you can start each section with its own Root Bridge, preventing unwanted association prevents loops and loops will occur on those sites where you have the two bridges linked together with a crossover because although the antennas are directional there is still enough RF leaking backwards to cause trouble.

Anyway I am glad your original problem is solved, if you need any more help you may reach me directly at domingos.nogueira@telindus.pt.

Best Regards

Domingos Nogueira

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card