Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Converged architecture : when the mob Controller goes down, all AP connected to Mob. Agent are disconnected

Hello
I configured two  SW 3650 in a converged architecture.
SW3560-1 is Mob controller
SW3560-2 is Mob agent.

When I shut down the Mob controller, APs associated to the Mob. Agent reload, and could not join anymore to the Mob Agent.

A debug "capawap ap error" on sw3560-2 give this error:

"*Sep  5 07:51:52.144: *%LWAPP-3-AP_LICENSE_REQUEST_ERR: 1 wcm:  License request failed for AP 7c0e.ceb8.f5d0 - AP License Request timedout, ensure MC link is up, Resettting AP"

Both SW3560 has a valid license for 6 AP
So I guess that the Mob Ctrl in a converged architecture, is vital.There is no redundance.

Could you please help.
Michel Misonne

• Getting Started with Wireless
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Hi Michel,When I shut down

Hi Michel,

When I shut down the Mob controller, APs associated to the Mob. Agent reload, and could not join anymore to the Mob Agent.

When MC is down, if MA connected AP rebooted that is strange. As Sultha mentioned, without MC, AP won't able to register as AP licence hold on MC.

Where is the SVI defined for AP management vlan ? Is DHCP given for AP from 3650-1 ? We need to find out what triggers MA connected AP to reboot.

Configuring both 3650 as MC is not an ideal solution (make it bit complex & roaming is not optimized if these two switches in same building)

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Michel,Yes, you are right.

Hi Michel,

Yes, you are right. The Mobility controller is required for the APs to join MA. This is the expected behavior, as the licenses will be installed on the mobility controller.

If there are no licenses, the APs will not join and throw the above error.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Salma

Thanks for your answer.So in

Thanks for your answer.

So in my case ( two 3650), it is better to configure those two  3650 as Mob controller..

In that way , in case of a failure of one  3650, I will still keep half of my APs.

Michel

VIP Purple

Hi Michel,When I shut down

Hi Michel,

When MC is down, if MA connected AP rebooted that is strange. As Sultha mentioned, without MC, AP won't able to register as AP licence hold on MC.

Where is the SVI defined for AP management vlan ? Is DHCP given for AP from 3650-1 ? We need to find out what triggers MA connected AP to reboot.

Configuring both 3650 as MC is not an ideal solution (make it bit complex & roaming is not optimized if these two switches in same building)

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasika and Salma,Yes

Hi Rasika and Salma,

Yes indeed, when an AP was previously connected to the MA, it stays connected when the MC goes down.

The problem appears only  when a new AP try to connect to the MA, or when an previously connected AP is disconnected. In that case, the previoulsy connected AP could no more join the MA.

So the situation is not perfect for redundancy,( if we compare it with 2 autonomous 5508 for exemple),  but anyway it is acceptable in my case.

Michel Misonne

Cisco Employee

Hi Michel, Yes you are right,

Hi Michel,

Yes you are right, the situation is not the same for redundancy with your MA and MC when compared to your 2 5508's as primary and back up WLCs.

Regards

Salma

Views
Helpful
Replies