cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

convert ip address to mac-ddress for wireless

sammmmmmm22
Level 1
Level 1

hello guys, i feel really silly for asking this question, but i have forgotten how to convert ip address to mac-address. can some help or provide a link for me to read?

thanks guys

4 Replies 4

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

Just go to the default gateway for the subnet, ping the IP address you want to find the mac address for, then check the arp table.

Thank but thats is not what i was looking for. I need to know the actual maths. i could do it about 10 months ago, but its all gone from my now :-(

i need to be given an ip address and be able to give the mac-address equivalent of it.

There is no direct conversion, IP addresses are chosen by the network administrator and can be changed easily, MAC addresses are assigned to each NIC and are not supposed to be changed.

The only exception is multicast addresses, where multicast IP addresses and the equivalent multicast MAC address are related: see here for the conversion rule:

http://routemyworld.com/2009/03/04/ip-multicast-to-mac-address-mapping/

Now what you CAN do is convert your IP address, which is expressed in decimal, into its hex form (the MAC address is in hex format). To do so, convert your IP address to binary (the above link will show you how). Each byte is then 8 digits. Convert each group of 4 digits into its hex form (so 2 hex digits per byte), and you get your IP address in the same format as a MAC address. For example:

10.1.1.10 -> 00001010.00000001.00000001.00001010 -> 0a.01.0a.01 in hex.

A shortcut is to use your Windows calc to convert from decimal to hex...

Thanks, i can see how i was gettting everything upside down now. now i can see it clearly lol

Thanks a mill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card