cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Converted 1231G to LWAP, Won't Find Controller

estein
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1231G autonomous unit and a 4404 wireless controller, both reside on the same subnet, the controller is in layer 2 mode and has the bare necessities configured at present. I converted the 1231G to LWAPP, which was successful. But the LWAP will not find the controller - it keeps attempting to find it but never does. I don't have the WCS set up yet so can't import the Config results from the Upgrade Tool. Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Converted APs can only do Layer3. You should change the controller to Layer3 mode, and let us know if that works.

Here is more information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6306/products_qanda_item09186a00806a4da3.shtml

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

estein
Level 1
Level 1

Also - the AP I converted DOES show up on the controller in the Security -> AP Policies -> AP Authorization List! But the AP still isn't finding the controller...

Converted APs can only do Layer3. You should change the controller to Layer3 mode, and let us know if that works.

Here is more information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6306/products_qanda_item09186a00806a4da3.shtml

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you can also use a couple of debugs to find out if the AP is finding the controller but not joining.

Debug mac addr

debug lwapp events enable

debug pm pki enable

the lwapp events will show the discovery/join/downloading of the code from the AP and WLC. The pm pki, will show the security settings, this will help to insure that the SSC that is listed matches what the AP is sending.

Also, as mentioned above, you should set the WLC to be in Layer 3 mode, reboot and give the AP-Manager interface an IP address in the same subnet as the Management interface. If you have a service port as on a 4402 or 4404, you should have the service port in a different supernet than the AP-Manger and Management interfaces.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks to both of you for the helpful info! I changed the controller to Layer 3, rebooted, configured the ap-manager interface with an IP from the same subnet, saved and rebooted again. Then the AP found the controller immediately.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: