Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting to LWAPP (Aironet 1231)

I currently manage 115 Aironet AP1231-G-A-K9 WAP's via WLSE. We had a site assessment done, and they are recommending two wireless controllers for management with Cisco 3500 WAP's with clean air technology. I agree with recommendations, but I do not want to replace 115 access points. Has anyone ever successfully converted the 1231's to LWAPP?

I see there are utilites to accomplish this, but I also see alot of incompatibility post. Any comments/advice is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

John

50 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Converting to LWAPP (Aironet 1231)

You will need to use either the LWAPP upgrade tool or WCS to convert the 1231's since they will need a SSC generated.

I am trying the same thin. However, I am using a wireless controller. through the controller, I see it telnet to the AP and start the upgrade but then files. I've attached the log from the upgrade. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hall of Fame Super Silver

What are you using to convert to lwapp? WCS/NCS or the upgrade tool?

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thansk for getting back to me Scott.

I'm using the WCS. Don't know why it connects telnet once, but won't a second time for the upload.

Thanks!

Is your ap also a 1231? I usually use the archive download command or hold down the reset button while booting up the ap to get the code on the AP. If you need the SSC for that AP, you can alway get that from the debug of the join process. Its hit or miss using the WCS or even the tool and maybe that's why I use the archive command.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Yes, it is a 1231. Can you give me a link to the latest IOS image? All I can find are files named c1200-rcvk9w8...

Is that the correct file naming standard?

Message was edited by: Damon Stubbs

That looks right

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=279537740&flowid=7583&softwareid=280775090&release=12.3.7-JX9&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Thanks Scott! I'll try this tomorrow and get back to you.

Here is how you can get the SSC using the debug command:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1278622#1278622

-Scott

Scott,

When I try to hold in the mode button on reboot to download the file, I get an error saying it can't find the file c1200-k9w7-tar.default.

Do I need to wipe that out, or rename the rcvk9w8 file? Please provide syntax.

Thanks!

You need to rename the file.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Scott,

When I rename the file and try the "mode button" method , I get a "socket error". I've even tried the upgrade tool and it says "AP does not have supported radios. We have 100's of these deployed on our network. I've upgraded almost 200 through the WCS. This is the only one giving me grief.

Damon

Might just be a bad AP.  What does it show when you boot up the AP?

-Scott

Still boots the old IOS. I think I'll chalk this one up to being junk. Thanks for all your help Scott! How do I give you stars?

Damon

Haha... We didn't fix it tough:) but thanks if you use the rating system.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Try to upload the IOS image back onto the ap then try to covert it back.  When you convert it back to IOS, make sure the config is wiped and only your ip, and credentials are there for the upgrade tool or wcs.

-Scott

Can we use TFTP to upload the LWAPP image then connect to the same VLAN with the controller?

Chieu,

Yes you can...again, using the archive command (archive download-sw tftp:/// flash: ) uses tftp and so does the WCS and the upgrade tool.

-Scott

Hi Scott

Thank you for response.

Is the LWAPP upgrade software c120-rck9w8-tar.123-11JX1.tar for the 1231G-A-K9 access point? I just downloaded it to the access point 1231 while the AP still online but can't register to the controller. After the downloading, the access point 1231 can't access anymore. I just want to verify if the upgrade software is correct. The previous version is c1200-k9w7-mx.123-8.JA2

The link I posted earlier shows you how to find the SSC of the ap so you can add it to the wlc.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

You need to manually ad the SSC in order for the AP to join.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Chieu,

The image you uploaded is fine... if you console into the ap while it is booting, you will see something like this:

When I console the AP, I get this message "*Mar 1 00:00:23.535: %LWAPP−5−CHANGED: LWAPP changed state to DISCOVERY

*Mar 1 00:00:23.550: LWAPP_CLIENT_ERROR_DEBUG: lwapp_crypto_init_ssc_keys_and_

certs no certs in the SSC Private File

*Mar 1 00:00:23.550: LWAPP_CLIENT_ERROR_DEBUG:

*Mar 1 00:00:23.551: lwapp_crypto_init: PKI_StartSession failed

*Mar 1 00:00:23.720: %SYS−5−RELOAD: Reload requested by LWAPP CLIENT.

Reload Reason: FAILED CRYPTO INIT.

*Mar 1 00:00:23.721: %LWAPP−5−CHANGED: LWAPP changed state to DOWN".

You see the line that is bold.... That means you will have to run the debug pm pki enable from the WLC CLI and the output will give you the SSC.

Here is another good link that will help:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a00806a426c.shtml

-Scott

This is great Scott. I am really appreciated for all your helps.

However I can't ping my AP but I can see the MAC address of the AP show in the AP policies in WLC. It needs the SSC key. Now I just manually add the SSC key on the WLC. Hopefully the AP will register to the controller.

I can't console to the AP because it already hung to the ceiling. I did not use the Upgrade tool so I just find the SSC key manually. Hopefully the link will help to get the SSC key.

Okay, did you check the switchport the AP is on, and is there a dhcp for that subnet.  The AP will need an ip address before it will join the WLC.  Is the AP on the same subnet as the management ip address of the WLC?  That is the best way to get the ap up and running, then you can move the ap to any other subnet you want.  If you have the AP in a different subnet, then you will need to do option 43 on the dhcp scope or you can use DNS to resolve the wlc name to an ip address.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a00806c9e51.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808714fe.shtml

-Scott

I ran the command

(Cisco Controller) > debug pm pki enable

and

(Cisco Controller) > debug lwapp events enable

But I can't see any messages display on the WLC CLI? Do I need to run any commands prior to this one?

No.. But did your ap get an ip address from the dhcp server?

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

the AP is using static IP. It was online before. I can ping it until I downloaded the LWAPP image into the AP then I lost the connection. But I can see the MAC address on the AP policies in the WLC.

Well it doesn't mean it still has an ip, that's what we need to make sure of first. If it still has an ip, then you should be able to ping the ip.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

actually I ran

(Cisco Controller) >debug mac addr

(Cisco Controller) >debug capwap events enable

(Cisco Controller) >debug pm pki enable

I could not see any messages accept

(Cisco Controller)>*sshpmLscTask: May 09 09:28:05:.083: sshpmLscTask: LSC Task received a message 4

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content