Views
Helpful
Replies

Data size issue // WLC

taimoor khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

We have a user who is using 20 GB per hour, I get this data from Cisco Prime infrastructure.

My company is providing 5Mbps speed, is it possible a user (Apple phone) use 20 GB data on 5Mbps?

How we connect wireless:

User----AP----CMTS---Router---WLC---Core

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Based on what you are saying I have it hard to believe an iPhone is pulling and pushing that much data. That's just me .. Span a port and sniff his traffic ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Anything is possible. Maybe he is streaming or downloading. To verify, try doing a download from the same site and see.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for reply scott, we can not go onsite as he is a customer. Is there any other way ?

I checked WLC interfaces, maximum data they tranfer (Tx/Rx) is 4Gig per hour but he is using 20Gig an an hour.

is there any other way to find what is he doing ?

Only if you had a proxy or content filter which allows you to capture that info.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Does the site have a router?  If yes, then you can enable Netflow and see where he's going.

You may also want to give the user a call and ask the person.  This way the person know that someone is concerned about a potential abuse of the network.

Based on what you are saying I have it hard to believe an iPhone is pulling and pushing that much data. That's just me .. Span a port and sniff his traffic ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Seems like you are correct, we are providing 5Mbps and he can only gets 2.1GB but he is using 20 GB. Can I span WLC port ?

I normally span the switch the wlc connects into. Filter source and add the iPhones MAC address ..

Hello George,

I am able to see what user is doing, he is streaming actually but stange thing is we are giving him 5Mbps and he is consuming 8 Mbps.

What are you using to determine the usage ?

Precera - Packet logic

Do you have a ACL only allowing that 5 meg ? How are limiting this can you explain?

Btw thank you for the rating

We are using ISG to divide the bandwidth, yes we do use ACL for bench of users to get 5Mbps Down and 1.5 Mbps UP.

Is ISG at the edge ? Is it possible the user is generating traffic, your monitor tool is seeing this bandwidth but then it gets dropped at the edge ?

nop the site doesn't have router and I dont think WLC has netflow option.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card