cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

default SSID for Cisco equipment

kevinrose
Level 1
Level 1

We have several wireless conference rooms equiped with Aironet 340 equipment. Most people have Cisco wireless cards for their PCs. I have a 802.11b card for my PC but not the Cisco brand. Short of asking a collegue to let me look through his setup screens to identify the SSID used, I thought I'd try the default SSID used when installing Cisco equipment. (ie. my Linksys card uses the word linksys for cards and hubs as default). Any advice?

Kevin Rose

7 Replies 7

amishak
Level 1
Level 1

Default SSID for Aironet 340 is "tsunami"

-Amisha

shaun.oliver
Level 1
Level 1

Although there's a good chance that using a "default" SSID will allow you to associate, the best method for easy/public access to a network is:

- Set the "Broadcast SSID" option to On in the Access Point configuration,

- Set the SSID on the client to NULL (empty).

This means that almost any client card will be able to associate. However, this means there's *no* security at all for the wireless network.

If the conference rooms are for company (internal) use, it's best to have a proper security policy for wireless access - such as using WEP/LEAP, connecting to the company RADIUS server.

If you still need security, but want company visitors to have wireless access, you'll need a strong firewall policy to stop the general public from accessing the corporate network.

tdennehy
Level 1
Level 1

Kevin,

The default ssid on a cisco device is "tsunami", however I don't want to be the bearer of bad news......but I don't think it will work. If it does, please give me a shout.

It worked! Shocking because after an hour of trying different things with no luck and being told by several advisors that we don't use an SSID (blank)and that the problem is that 802.11b aren't all compatible, I suggested "try tsunami as the ID." Not only did it work, they're now on to why their Compaq wireless cards seemed incompatible. They now work too. I'll never get how Cisco came to chose it. Thank you to all of you.

If the "Broadcast SSID" setting has not been set to OFF, Boingo's client software will show you all of the available APs near you.

It's a free download that would have had you connected in less than a minute.

pls guys i need the option code for a cisco aironet 340 series.

that has the following particulars:

mac address: 0040 96 33 A3 9C

date of manufacture: 0 2/21/01

product id: AIR- PC13420S

expecting your replies.

vblavet
Level 1
Level 1

Default SSID should be "tsunami".

However by default if you use an empty SSID (called bradcast SSID) you should be able to associate with the AP. If the AP is configured to reject broadcast SSID, then you will need to know the SSID.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card