cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Design Question - Multiple Sites

hypnotoad
Level 3
Level 3

I have a WLC 4402(25) at my main site. It has been working great. I want to expand my wireless to eight other sites. Should I purchase WLC appliances for all of them? Is there a good design guide for the WLC?

--Patrick

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Patrick,

Depending on the size and scope required in the other sites you may not need a WLC at each. Look into H-Reap which is designed to expand Wireless to remote offices;

Hybrid Remote Edge Access Point (H-REAP) is a wireless solution for branch office and remote office deployments. It enables customers to configure and control access points in a branch or remote office from the corporate office through a wide area network (WAN) link without deploying a controller in each office. The H-REAP access points can switch client data traffic locally and perform client authentication locally when the connection to the controller is lost. When connected to the controller, H-REAPs can also tunnel traffic back to the controller.

H-Reap Design and Deployment Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6521/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

That does help. I've been reading about H-REAP. My concern was that I have a guest SSID, but it appears that I can tunnel some SSIDs and switch others locally. Now my problem is that the mountain of 1231 APs I have don't support H-REAP :(. I guess I'll be investing in some newer APs for the H-REAP sites.

Thanks,

--Patrick

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card