Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

DHCP Capabilities for Bridged Connection?

Is there any way to have DHCP for a bridge connection on the external/secondary

facility. How would I go about doing that?

7 REPLIES

Can you elaborate a little more?

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

I would like to know if there is a way I can implement DHCP for a bridged connection.

I don't want to have to assign static IP's for all the hosts located in the outside building.

So you have a bridge connection connecting 2 buildings, readin between the lines here.. If so, yes you can use DHCP over a bridge link.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Yes, I have a bridge between two buildings.

Do I have to implement a designated dhcp server,

or how would I go about doing that? The devices I'm using are

a Cisco 1310 bridge as root and a Cisco 1131 AP on the other location.

Do you have multiple vlans ot just one ?

Simply put a DHCP server on wired side VLAN or (helper) and point it to a DHCP server.

I have a few vlans. Please bare with me, I have not configured a bridged connection before.

Do you happen to know how or any links I can follow in order to set dhcp up. I have a

dhcp server. So far, I'm able to connect a device on the outside building via static IP. I have yet to connect

the dhcp server to it.

You have a 1310 which is your root and this is connected to the wired. The 1310 is connected to the swicth fabric via a TRUNK. This trunk breaks out into multple vlans. You need to add helpers on these vlans pointing to your DHCP server.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-4363

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1300/12.3_7_JA/configuration/guide/brsc1237.html

Keep in mind the helper will happen on your wired side. The links above will show you a general config but they dont talk specifics about DHCP. Again, put the helper on the wired.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content