Views
Helpful
Replies

dhcp problem with 1232ag

matevzpavlin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I did a basic setup on 1232ag ap with guest mode and no auth. on one vlan. Other vlan is encrypted. I have connected it to my lan which uses windows server 2003 box for dhcp service. But when i connect to wireless i get wrong ip address. Instead of 192.x.x.x i get 169.x.x.x.

What am i missing here?

Thank You

Matevz Pavlin

4 Replies 4

bcolvin
Level 3
Level 3

Sounds like you have a VLAN/Routing problem if you are properly authenticated and associated to the AP.

Yep, it seems that this is the case. I have Catalyst 2950 between(forgot to mention earlier), but i think it doesn't support vlan routing. Or am i missing something?

So, is there any way i can get dhcp on just one vlan from windows server, over catalyst 2950?

Thank You

You shouldn't need to do anything if the AP and your server are on the same network. Is this the case? If not, you would have to put a IP helper-address on the network router interface that the AP is connected to.

router interface example:

interface Vlan2000

description >> URWireless APs on campus <<

ip address 17x.xx.xx.93 255.255.255.224

ip helper-address 128.1xx.xxx.xxx

!

bcolvin
Level 3
Level 3

A solution would be to multi home one of the server nics for the subnet you plan to use for the Wireless, then set a DHCP scope to serve the wireless subnet. Then just add .1Q routing or VLAN 2 to the server switch port to handle the traffic. The switch port for the AP should be configured the same wiht .1Q or manullly assigning the VLAN, My advice is to use the .1Q method.

Bill

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card