cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP

zimmermanml
Level 1
Level 1

In my wireless deployment I am deploying 1010 series access points and 2006 wireless LAN controller. My question is: How will my wireless clients get an IP address if my AP's are in different subnets than my Controller and I don't have a DHCP server in each subnet?

1 Reply 1

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If your APs are in different subnets, then the controller would be set to "Layer 3" mode.

In Layer 3 mode, each AP will have an address from the local net/subnet. Each client will need to get an address for that net/subnet. As the client roams, it will maintain that address.

That function is accomplished with tunnels between the controller and the AP for that client.

Your DHCP server will have to have multiple "scopes" defined, where each scope provides addresses for a specific network/subnetwork.

The DHCP server should be on the network / subnetwork local to the controller (controller port on 192.168.1.0/24, the dhcp server should also be on 192.168.1.0/24).

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card