Views
Helpful
Replies

difference between bridge and local mode with wlc 5508

Peter Handke
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Now i have wlc5508 with few ap 11xx 12xx in local mode. All work correct. I will have to add few ap1552 in bridge mode ( i have to wait for wlc upgrade to change ap1552 to local mode). My question is that all ( local and bridge mode) will work correct together for my clients: rfid readers, laptop, computer in a,b,g,n mode ? What about roaming  and other feature ?

thanks for help

Peter

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Peter,

With 7.2.110.0 you can set the 1550's in local mode:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_2_110_0.html#wp784178

You can use the AP to serve clients by joining it to the WLC, configure it as a RAP and it will provide the clients with wireless traffic on 2.4 GHz band.

I cant say about about roaming feature.......may be someone can elobrate about this.

Regards

both b and g mode in 2,4 GHz?

Yes, 802.11b/g operate in 2.4GHz

802.11a operate in 5GHz

Rasika

If you plan on not doing MESH, then you set these 1552's in local mode and they will perform the same tasks as any other AP's in local mode.  When you want to do MESH, then that is when bridge mode comes into play and you have to define your RAP's and MAP's.

Roaming, clients devices, doesn't matter if your using local or bridge.  roaming depends on your device and coverage and rfid, also depends on triangulation with the coverage you have now.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: