Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Difference between fast ethernet and BVI interfaces in an 2100 series aironet access point

Hi,

I'm trying to configure an aironet 21000 series access point, I can connect in a console mode and every thing works fine. I can see the AP has many interfaces dor11radio (for the wireless) , fast ethernet and BVI . I can't see the difference between the two last ones,

I wanted to access the config web interface, so I connected the AP to my PC and I configured a subnet on the Fast Ethernet interface of the AP and it didn't work, so I configured the the subnet using the bvi interface, and it works.

So what it the difference between these two interfaces, and what is the interface "Fast Ethernet" used for ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hi, An ap is a layer 2 device

Hi,

An ap is a layer 2 device so assigning ip to the fast ethernet port an dgetting it worked is out of question.You should assign ip address to the BVI1 interface and the default gateway and then you can ping the AP followed by GUI/Telnet access. BVI is a bridge virtual which means it is virtual and acts like a bridge representing both  Ethernet and radio interfaces for the management of the AP. This is the most simple way of understanding it. For a layer 2 switch also..you dont give ip address to switch port but a virtual interface.

Regards

Dhiresh

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Hi, An ap is a layer 2 device

Hi,

An ap is a layer 2 device so assigning ip to the fast ethernet port an dgetting it worked is out of question.You should assign ip address to the BVI1 interface and the default gateway and then you can ping the AP followed by GUI/Telnet access. BVI is a bridge virtual which means it is virtual and acts like a bridge representing both  Ethernet and radio interfaces for the management of the AP. This is the most simple way of understanding it. For a layer 2 switch also..you dont give ip address to switch port but a virtual interface.

Regards

Dhiresh

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content