Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different WLAN IDs when using FlexConnect

I have almost 1500 Access points accoss three 5508 WLCs.  I have matching WLAN IDs on two the WLCs and on the third WLC the WLAn ID is different.  All the APs acrros all threee WLCs are configured for FlexConnect.

I am seeing issues of low CAPWAP uptimes across many of my APs that is consistant with end user complaints.  The complaints go something like "I have full bars for a wireless signal and then nothing and it takes several minutes for the bars to reappear and connect."

What exactly are the caveats of have two or more APs at a site with different WLAN IDs it terms or roaming and in terms of AP failover?

Everyone's tags (3)
5 REPLIES

the matching WLAN ID is more important with regards to AP moving from one WLC to another.

If the AP isn't moving between the primary/secondary/tertiary etc, then I wouldn't look at this too hard.

If they are moving between the WLC, you'll want to troubleshoot why they are doing so.  Low CAPWAP uptime would make me think they were moving, and the reasons you are seeing low bars for a while is the AP needs to rebuild it's configuraiton when it moves between WLC with the WLAN ID not matching, and the client is working off of an AP that is farther away, thus the signal degredationo that is being seen

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks Stephen,

I think the APs are moving being controller also.  The APs are spread over the 3 controllers with the HA being configured for 1400+ APs the same way (Same Primary, Secondary, Tertiary) .  My hunch is that when one AP "slot" becomes available for various reasons, APs are constantly moving to the Primary Controller were the WLAN ID is different, then the AP "rebuilds" and another AP slides into its spot, and the process cycles. The Primary and Secondary WLS each have the 500 max APs on them.

Any good tactics or debugs you know to assist me with seeing if this behavoir is occuring?

you could run debug capwap events and debug capwap errors but you would need to know which AP is going to move.  You can also check your AP configs and see if you have AP that are not on their configured Primary controller, and check what the failover priority is.

I'd also try to get the one WLC that has the WLAN ID out of order, inline with the other two

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I am definitley going to get these IDs in line... My game plan is to create to new WLANs across all three Controllers, with matching ID's and stick these WLANs into a new AP Group.  Then I will use NCS to swing APs to the new AP Group one site at a time using NCS to control the outages. 

Right now I am trying to get all my info togather for the Change Management and "proving" this is what is going on.  Changing 80 sites with 1400+ APs requires documentation and this is where proper debugs come in.

I will start debugging and hope for the best.  Thanks for you help!

Do you have your AP failover priority on something other than low?  I found when I played with this setting my APs would move even when their primary controller was online.  I moved everything back to low and now the APs only move when the controller goes down or I manually move them between controllers.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content