Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

differnece btw 2 Wifi AP?

Hello, Can someone tell me the difference btw the AP:

AIR-CAP1602I-A-K9  

and

AIR-SAP1602I-N-K9

I am wondering if the 2nd one is manageable thru my WLC as the first one(CAP1602I-A).

Tx for your answer.

B

6 REPLIES

The code CAP in AIR-CAPXXX-A-K9  is used against Controller based access points ( light weight) and SAP is used against  Standalone Accesspoints ( no controller needed, can work alone ) .

As already told,

CAP stands for Controller Based Access Point

SAP stands fro Standalone Access Point

Cisco Employee

AIR-CAP1602I-A-K9   -- Lightweight AP managed by WLC

and

AIR-SAP1602I-N-K9 - Standalone AP but definetly converatble to Lightweight and can be managed by WLC.

Conversion process to Lightweight:-

First, you need to download the right IOS:  ap1g2-rcvk9w8-tar.152-2.JB.tar

Next you copy the IOS from your TFTP server to your AP.

The command, must be entered on the AP, is:  archive download-sw /over tftp:///ap1g2-rcvk9w8-tar.152-2.JB.tar

Make sure your WLC is running firmware 7.4.100.0.

thanx for this answer, but is there a differnece btw this firmware (the Recovery one) and the offical one.

Can i use this firmware in production?

Or should i upgrade/change it to another one?

Tx a lot for all your help.

B.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

It doesn't matter.

If you use the "recovery" or "RCV" file, once the AP joins the controller, the controller will push to the AP the correct IOS the AP should be running on.

So at the end of the day, the controller will perform a software policy check to make sure every AP is running the same OS as the WLC.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: differnece btw 2 Wifi AP?

I am wondering if the 2nd one is manageable thru my WLC as the first one(CAP1602I-A).

No it won't.

Look at the regulatory domain.  This is THE most important bit of the information.

AIR-CAP1602I-A-K9

AIR-SAP1602I-N-K9

See the highlighted items above?  "-A" regulatory domain and "-N" regulatory domain will NEVER (EVER) mix in the same WLC.  

Regulatory Domain will depend entirely on what country the AP will be deployed in.

Read below:

Wireless LAN Compliance Status

Views
Helpful
Replies