Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Directional antennas outdoor

Hi

I am expanding coverage in a big outdoor area.

Most of the area is covered with AP1552 with AIR-ANT2506 5,2 db antennas.

At the border of the area i have some masts where i can place ap's.

Would it make sense to use directional antenna's there ?

Whitch type ?

I have a big open area where it is not possibel to place ap's.

The only placement is a mast in the middle of the area.

I have a AP1552 with 5,2 db antennas there.

Can i get better coverage if i place 3 or 4 ap's with directional antennas ?

Or should i try with a 12dBi AIR-ANT24120 ?

/Per Buch

Everyone's tags (3)
2 REPLIES

Hi Per,

With directional antennas, the client usually can see the signal from high distance. However, sometimes the clients can not connect if they are far away from the AP although they can see the WLAN. The reason is that the access point has enough power to transmit for high distance while the client adapter does not have enough power to trasmit the signal to reach the AP. in this case there is some kind of one-way communication.

If your area is small and your APs are not too far away from the client, you can use directional antennas if you make sure that directional antennas will cover the necessary area.

I have no practical experience with directional antennas so I am not able your second part if the coverage will be better or not.

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Directional antennas is good if it's point-to-point.  Directional antennas, however, does not fare well if you want to provde wireless coverage to an area.  It wasn't designed to be like that.

Views
Helpful
Replies