Views
Helpful
Replies

Disabling wism controllers

Islam Sallaj
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I have a 300 AP Wism blade into a VSS chassis.  Is there a good way to disable communication to the controllers on the wism?  I'd like to remove the two controllers form the network with a software command as this is a remote location.  I understand that the interfaces on the wism are not configurable so I can not do a no shut on the 8 interfaces.  Is there a way to disable the entire module?  Other then "popping" the card out of the chassis is there a way to accomplish killing traffic to and from the wism.

Regards,

izzy

6 Replies 6

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Izzy,

THere are two ways to take care of this.

1.) no power enable module slot

2.) remove the wism commands from the Sup.

Option 1 would be the fastest/easiest to recover from

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Ah great stuff Stephen.  Yeah I considered option 2 but I really didn't want to touch the config as we might roll back to these controllers in the future.  Never thought about option 1...

I'll give it a try...thanks again

izzy

hey while i have you any thoughts why i couldn't console into the controllers?  Checked to see if console was disabled and it seems fine. Was thinking that maybe my speed on my serial port was not matching of that on the wism.  Just curious if you ran into this issue.

thanks

izzy

Izzy,

Make sure to save your config on your WLCs before you power down the WISMs...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Nice catch...thanks for the heads up...we're are actually going to whip it clean and pull push our new templates from our new 5008's

Trying to get uniformity across our WLC's

Thanks though...we forget the simplist things many times don't we?

for the console it's 9600/none8/1 and make sure flowcontroll is set to off.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card