Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Distance between AP´s

My installation has 4 wired AP´s with 8dbi antennas. They are in a equidistante square position in a campus. Because I have only 3 non-overlaped channels, what is the best separation (in metres) between them?

Actually they are 70m far away.

Regards.

3 REPLIES
Green

Re: Distance between AP´s

It's pretty much dependent on the environment, the height of the antennas and line-of-sight, reflecting objects, etc.

Only a good site survey is going to answer your question.

What you can do is lower the output power (versus increasing the distances) according to the coverage overlap.

Or, put two diagonal corners on one channel, with the other two corners each on their own channels. You may be able to put them all on one channel and use a roaming config ... it all depends on how the signal quality / strengths come out on the survey.

Good Luck

Scott

Distance between AP´s

Distance between AP´s

It shoudnt be in meters ut should be in dB. If you have 2 access points on the same channel you should have 20dB difference between then to limit interference. If thats 100 meters or 1 meter .. 20 dB is 20 dB ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content