Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Silver

Does the Ethernet ports on the Cisco WLC 2106 works as a switch?

Im new in the wireless field. I have a Cisco WLC 2106 and I got 2 access points working, conected the controller (Aironet 1130AG), but I would like to know if I could connect a host or a laptop to the 2106 WLC.

I have a router conected to the WLC using the port 1, and the APs are in ports 7 and 8, but when I plug a pc in the port number 3, I do not get and IP from DHCP server, (DHCP is giving by the router). Im not sure if the 2106 WLC ports are for connect other network devices like a pc... I would like to know if there is a way to configure the controller to conect a host or a pc to the ethernet ports. thanks for the help...

---

Posted by WebUser Daniel Nigrinis from Cisco Support Community App

5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

The data ports of the WLC 2XXX weren't really designed to be connected to WAPs.  It's mostly used for connecting to switches.  It can be done but any issues you will encounter relating to what you're doing will not be supported by TAC, as far as I'm aware.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Does the Ethernet ports on the Cisco WLC 2106 works as a swi

Leo is right... Of course:)

I tried doing something like this in the past just to see what would happen. Dhcp will only work if the wlc provides dhcp. The wlc will not relay dhcp and it is not a switch/hub. Like Leo mentioned, using the ports other than connecting then to a switch is not supported by TAC.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Leo is right... Of course:)

Not all the time Scott.  Not all the time. 

Highlighted
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Well... At least you have good answers:)

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Cisco Employee

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content