Views
Helpful
Replies

Does the new ISR platform support 802.11ac APs

richards.james
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is there a Cisco WLAN controller that is compatible with the new 11ac 3700 APs that can be installed in a 3900 series ISR platform?

Thank you

James

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes and no.  And I don't know which is which.  

The current way to stick a WLC into a router is using an SRE.  This is basically a module which contains a hard drive and you create a VM in form of a WLC.  Now the latest SRE firmware is 7.4.121.0 (release date 20 December 2013). 

There are currently three models of APs with can support 802.11ac.  They are the 3600*, 3700 and 2700.

Ok, here's where the "kicker" comes in.  

The 3600 (notice the "*") can support 802.11ac if you purchase the 802.11ac Wave 1 Module.  The 3600 is supported from firmware version 7.2.X.X but the 802.11ac Wave 1 Module requires a minimum firmware version 7.5.X.X (this version is now "deferred").   So this option doesn't work.

3700 requires a minmum of 7.6.X.X firmware and the newly-released 2700 requires a soon-to-be-released 7.6MR2 or 8.X.X.X firmware.   

Now if what I've mentioned above doesn't confuse you, this next one will bewilder absolutely:  Read the Release Notes for 7.6.X.X and scroll down to the Supported Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Platforms section and it's stated:  

Cisco Virtual Wireless Controllers on Cisco Services-Ready Engine (SRE) or Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Module for Integrated Services Routers G2 (UCS-E)

Hence, my response of Yes and No.  

I have two recommendations:  

• On the bottom of the Release Notes, there's a Feedback link.  Use it.  Put a low score (this guarantees someone will contact you quickly).  When they contact you, ask them to do a proper QC on their documentation because, frankly, they've been "dropping the ball" lately.  
  • Next, contact TAC.  

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes and no.  And I don't know which is which.  

The current way to stick a WLC into a router is using an SRE.  This is basically a module which contains a hard drive and you create a VM in form of a WLC.  Now the latest SRE firmware is 7.4.121.0 (release date 20 December 2013). 

There are currently three models of APs with can support 802.11ac.  They are the 3600*, 3700 and 2700.

Ok, here's where the "kicker" comes in.  

The 3600 (notice the "*") can support 802.11ac if you purchase the 802.11ac Wave 1 Module.  The 3600 is supported from firmware version 7.2.X.X but the 802.11ac Wave 1 Module requires a minimum firmware version 7.5.X.X (this version is now "deferred").   So this option doesn't work.

3700 requires a minmum of 7.6.X.X firmware and the newly-released 2700 requires a soon-to-be-released 7.6MR2 or 8.X.X.X firmware.   

Now if what I've mentioned above doesn't confuse you, this next one will bewilder absolutely:  Read the Release Notes for 7.6.X.X and scroll down to the Supported Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Platforms section and it's stated:  

Cisco Virtual Wireless Controllers on Cisco Services-Ready Engine (SRE) or Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Module for Integrated Services Routers G2 (UCS-E)

Hence, my response of Yes and No.  

I have two recommendations:  

• On the bottom of the Release Notes, there's a Feedback link.  Use it.  Put a low score (this guarantees someone will contact you quickly).  When they contact you, ask them to do a proper QC on their documentation because, frankly, they've been "dropping the ball" lately.  
  • Next, contact TAC.  

Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks for such a comprehensive answer, I shall look into the points you've raised

Thanks again

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts, Richard.  laugh

And let us know how you go.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card