cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does WLC 2504 Supports HA or not ?

Ram prakash
Level 1
Level 1

We are already having Cisco WLC 2504(software version:7.3.101.0) in our Network and managing 10 access points, we are now trying to build High Availability ( HA ) in the WLAN setup. So I am in need of details that this existing platform is capable of supporting HA.

Required Clarifications as follows.

1. Does WLC 2504 support HA?
2. If HA is supported whether any license is required to enable it.
3. What is the Software Pre-requisites to enable it.
4. Configuration guide to enable HA

Attached: existing WLC Bill of Material

1 Accepted Solution
17 Replies 17

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HA is suppose to be supported in v7.5 which should be available in a month or so.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi fella thanks for the response, Does it requires any licensing..

From what I know is that you would be able to configure AP SSO on the 2504. Now since I don't know if there will be a HA sku or not, we will have to wait to get more info on the minimum license to run HA just like the 5508's for example.

-Scott

Are you trying to convey that  High Availability is enabled in the BoX right now, or it will be enabled only when we get the 7.5 code ?

Is any reference doc is available in cisco site to inform that HA will be supported in 2504 model ? thus i can consider this model for HA ?

I am looking this information at the earliest, thus i can propose the WLC 2504 for redundancy,.

As on today if WLC 2504 is not supporting HA  and there is no concrete road map on the dates when 7.5 code or SKU details , then i need to go for other model of WLC which currently supports HA. In this case i am being forced  to remove my existing WLC 2504 and replace with two new WLC.

Request your expert help in this case

Thanks ... Ram

Until a few days before the v7.5 release, Cisco will make the release notes available. Until then, I don't have any specifics. HA on the 2504 doesn't exist now and will be available on v7.5.

-Scott

Thanks for the information.!

No problem.

-Scott

@Scott

I don't see Cisco has any plan to have SSO HA built for WLC 2504 . I don't see it under WLC running code 7.6.130

Thanks, Kunal

Happy to help you !

That is correct. There is no plan to support SSO on the 2504, just N+1.  You would need at least two 5508's  

-Scott

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm assuming your look at HA in regards to AP SSO and not just a redundant WLC in active active?

-Scott

My requirement is as follows:

If the Existing WLC - 2504  fails for any reason ( Hardware / Software ) the Access points should assosiate to the Redundant WLC. i.e. I am looking for  Active / Standby mode.

Clarifications Required:

My  WLC 2504 current code ( software version:7.3.101.0) will it support the above requirement ?

How AP SSO differs from HA ? will it converge fast ?

So I was wrong... AP SSO will not be supported in v7.5 only N+1.  So you either can do N+1 or just do the normal primary and secondary.  No matter what, you will have downtime if the WLC goes down, but shouldn't be longer than a minute with either way.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to understand what is what. If you have redundant WLC's no matter what code, you can support AP failover with no issues. You basically set the primary and secondary WLC in the access points high availability tab.

HA in v7.3 is what the call AP SSO (state full switchover). The 2504's doesn't support this until v7.5 which isn't available yet. HA AP SSO isn't very stable with current releases, so just doing the normal redundancy should work for you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008064a294.shtml

-Scott

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Ram,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

Cisco® Unified Wireless Network (CUWN) Software Release 7.4 brings advancements to the wireless market with innovative features and a category of new wireless solutions to help customers integrate business operations more closely with mobile devices and wireless infrastructure for better end-user experience and value-added IT services.

Release 7.4 delivers:

• Consistent Application Visibility and Control (AVC) for wireless and wired networks.

• Bonjour Services Directory for Apple device services across L3 domain.

• Connected mobile experience through innovations in mobility services engine (MSE) and recently acquired ThinkSmart Technology.

• The new Cisco Aironet® 1600 Series Access Points, which offer great performance, functionality, and reliability at a great price point.

• Wireless Security and Spectrum Intelligence module for the Cisco Aironet 3600 Series Access Point enables enterprises to secure their full wireless spectrum.

The feature-packed 7.4 release also introduces the ability for smartphones to conserve battery while roaming in an enterprise network, a new low-cost, high-availability (HA) SKU for 2500 Series controllers, the capability to place an HA SKU in a geographically different location from a primary controller, and a number of enhanced security features.

In addition, a GPS receiver and antenna for Aironet® 1550 Series outdoor access points is supported in the 7.4 release.

Hope this will help you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card