cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dot11 activity-timeout

john.wright
Level 3
Level 3

I read in the documentation that AP's by default are set to 60 second activity-timeout.

What does that mean in terms of the client association? Does the client disassociate after 60 seconds? What happens after the 60 second timer expires?

I am researching why many users across our campus are complaining that they lose connection from time to time.

I have autonomus 1141N with 12.4(25d)JA1.

2 Replies 2

Viten Patel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

can you point out to the doc which states that? are the clients getting disconnected at regular intervals or randomly?

I think he means this.

dot11 activity-timeout

Use the dot11 activity-timeout  global configuration command to configure the number of seconds that  the access point tracks an inactive device (the number depends on its  device class). The access point applies the unknown device class to all  non-Cisco Aironet devices.

dot11 activity-timeout { [ client-station | repeater | bridge | workgroup-bridge | unknown ]  [ default <1 - 100000> ] [ maximum <1 - 100000> ] }

Syntax Description

client-station, repeater, bridge, workgroup- bridge

Specify Cisco Aironet device classes

unknown

Specifies unknown (non-Cisco Aironet) device class

default <1 - 100000>

Specifies the activity timeout value that the access point uses when a  device associates and proposes a zero-refresh rate or does not propose a  refresh rate

maximum <1 - 100000>

Specifies the maximum activity timeout allowed for a device regardless  of the refresh rate proposed by a device when it associates

Defaults

Table 2-4 lists the default activity timeouts for each device class. All values are in seconds.

Table 2-4     Default Activity Timeouts

Device Class
Default Timeout

unknown

client-station

repeater

bridge

workgroup-bridge

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card