cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dot11radio0 and Dot11radio1 - which one and why?

nemiath76
Level 1
Level 1

As some may know by know (lol) i am setting up my 1841 for home access. I obtained a 802.11 abg module and started studying and experimenting.

What i have not yet clarified is if Dot11radio 0 and 1 -  2.4 and 5 ghz both support 54mbp transfer rates, and if the 2.4 is the most compatible and common at the time, why would someone also setup the 5ghz one? Are there any clear advantages?

I have currently both running. My small mobile devices connet to the 2.4 one and My laptop to the 5ghz but if both been activated has any downsides

i could probably move to a different setup.

Open to recommendations - suggestions!

1 Reply 1

pcroak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The 2.4 GHz spectrum has only 3 available non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11), so if you are in an area with other wireless networks in range you could see some interference. There is also potential interference from Microwaves, Bluetooth, etc.

The 5.0 GHz spectrum has many more channels available, and the chances of interference issues are much much lower.

The range is typically better on 2.4 GHz and it is more compatible with devices, but 5.0 GHz will usually have better performance. Also, with both radios turned on, you can split your clients onto both radios, so they aren't contending with eachother as much, since wireless is after all a shared medium.

No real downside to having both Radios turned on that I can think of, aside from a minimal power draw increase (not sure on the specifics)...

-Pat

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card