cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual-Band radio in 5508 Wireless Controller

shilpipandya1
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed the 1552c and 3600 Access Point but I don't see them in dual-band radio in 5508 Wireless Controller.

I know that 3600 has the ability to add a 802.11ac module which is considered as a dual radio but how to check if that module is already there?

I am not sure about 1552c access point.  Should I see 1552c in the dual band radio?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You don't have dual-band modules.

There are two modules for the 3600's that show up there. The WSSI module and the 3G Cellular module. You need to purchase those separate. Regular AP's don't show up there.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Dual-band radios are only APs which has the 802.11ac module or APs that support 802.11ac natively.

Only the 3600 will support the 802.11ac module and the next AP that will support 802.11ac natively will be the 3700 and is slated for release by the end of 2013.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

vlad.mihailov
Level 1
Level 1

I am a little confused why you don't see the APs listed. Do you have them listed separately under 802.11b/g/n and under 802.11a/n?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Vlad,

I think that the OP thinks that since the AP has both 2.4Ghz and 5ghz radio it should be listed under dual-band radio.

The dual-band radios will list the WSSI Module. The 802.11ac module gets listed in the 802.11a/n/ac section with a reference to slot 2. The 3G module I would think would show up in the dual-band radio section. It's confusing because if the name "dual-band radio". Not really what means.

-Scott

Scott,

I can see my access point 3600 and 1552c under 802.11b/g/n and 02.11a/n. I am confused about dual-band radio. My question is why my dual-band radio is empty?

You don't have dual-band modules.

There are two modules for the 3600's that show up there. The WSSI module and the 3G Cellular module. You need to purchase those separate. Regular AP's don't show up there.

-Scott

Thanks Scott, I have finally realised that 3600 dont have 802.11ac module and dual-band radio doesn't mean to be that.

Secondly Can you please comment about 1552c. Do they support Dual-band feature?

Dual-band radios are only APs which has the 802.11ac module or APs that support 802.11ac natively.

Only the 3600 will support the 802.11ac module and the next AP that will support 802.11ac natively will be the 3700 and is slated for release by the end of 2013.

Do you perhaps know  why Cisco promote's the 1142,3500 & 2600 etc AP's as dual band AP's ? 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-2600-series/data_sheet_c78-709514.html

AIR-CAP2602I-x-K9: Dual-band controller-based 802.11a/g/n

Hi,

I notice that this question was posted many years ago. However, it is not very clear to me what the solution is.

I have a 5508 controller with AIR-CAP6202E-E-K9 APs and AIR-ANT2524DW-R antenas. Both the APs and antenas are also said to support dual band. But I do not see them under dual band radios in the controller.

Am I mistaken to expect them to appear there? Do they support dual band at all? If they do, how can I enable it in the controller?

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

3600 series AP:-

The 3600 series supports high-performing Spectrum Intelligence which sustains three spatial stream rates over a deployable distance with high reliability when serving clients. The 3600 series provides high reliability and overall wireless performance.

The 3600 series offers dual-band radios (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) with integrated and external antenna options. The access points support full inter-operability with leading 802.11n clients, and support a mixed deployment with other access points and controllers.

The 3600 series access point is a controller-based (Unified) product and supports:

•Simultaneous dual-band (2.4 GHz/5 GHz) radios

•Integrated antennas on the 3602I access point model (AIR-CAP3602I-x-K9)

•External antennas for rugged 3602E access point model (AIR-CAP3602E-x-K9)

Cisco Aironet 1552C/1552CU Cable Modem Access Points:-

Where service providers have already invested in a broadband cable network, the Cisco next-generation outdoor wireless mesh can seamlessly extend network connectivity with the Cisco Aironet 1552C/1552CU access points by connecting to its integrated cable modem interface. The Cisco Aironet 1552C/1552CU Outdoor Mesh Access Points are dual-radio systems with DOCSIS 3.0/EuroDOCSIS 3.0 (8x4 HFC) compliant cable modem for power and backhaul. They have dual-band radios that are compliant with IEEE 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz) and 802.11a/n (5-GHz) standards. The 1552C has an integrated, three- element, dual-band antenna and easily fits within the 30 cm height restriction for service providers. The 1552CU has six external antenna connections, three for 2.4 GHz and three for 5 GHz that support omni and directional antennas. These models are perfect for 3G data offload applications and public Wi-Fi.

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 3600 series Access Points can have either internal or external antennae.  You can tell by looking at the top of the AP.  If there are 4 antenna connections (one in each corner) then they are external antennae. 

If you cannot get to the AP to check them physically, the antenna type is also denoted by the part number.

AIR-CAP3602I-x-K9 has internal antennae

AIR-CAP3602E-x-K9 has external antennae

The 3600 does have dual radios built in, operating in the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency ranges.  However, for them to show up as such, you have to enable both radios on the AP.  You can do this either through the WebUI or the CLI.

The 802.11ac option is an external module that is attached to the underside of the 3600 AP.  Please find the datasheet for the module here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps12859/ps13128/data_sheet_c78-727794.html

The 1552c Series access points are also dual-radio systems and should also have both radios turned on through the WebUI or CLI.  Note the quote " The Cisco Aironet 1552C/1552CU Outdoor Mesh Access Points are dual-radio systems with DOCSIS 3.0/EuroDOCSIS 3.0 (8x4 HFC) compliant cable modem for power and backhaul." taken from the datasheet for these APs found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps11451/data_sheet_c78-641373.html

Cisco ships the APs with one Radio enabled and if you want the dual-radio functionality, you have to turn that on.  Once that is done, you should see the APs show up correctly in the WLC 5508.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: