cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual Radio link between two bridges.

leigh_mcdade
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up two 1232AG Access Points as a bridged link between two buildings. They wish to use the "G" radio for data (VLAN 1 - native) and the "A" radio for voice. Both AP's have an IP address in VLAN 1 and are configured to allow VLAN 1 traffic down the "G" and just VLAN 2 traffic down the "A". It all works fine if the "A" radio is shut down but as soon as I enable it the bridges become unresponsive, I cannot ping the local bridge even though I am on vlan 1 and if I console onto it the console is extremely slow to respond. Has anyone got any ideas why this might be happening and are there any config guides for this scenario as I can't find any on CCO.

3 Replies 3

john.preves
Level 4
Level 4

Back in over my head again but I am fairly certain that the bridge needs to be on the native Vlan.

It sounds like what you are trying to do is bridge data over one Vlan and voice over another.

The bridge should just bridge - thats it. Let the edge switches do the Vlan stuff.

What would happen if you made 1 the Native Vlan, made Vlan2 data and then Vlan 3 for voice? The reason I ask is I don't know, but it seems to me that this or something similar will be the answer to your question.

The bridge should just be pushing the trunks across Vlan 1 let the switches on either side decide whether that traffic is vlan2 or 3.

Thanks for the reply John. We want to separate the voice over a different radio interface to the data and it seemed logical to send the voice over the "A" radio as it is not widely used here in the UK yet. We got it to work by enabling spanning-tree on the vlan sub-interfaces as it seems even though the "A" radio sub-interface is only carrying VLAN 2 the major interface still has bridge-group 1 enabled on it which it needs to set up the GRE tunnel (you cannot remove the command). Spanning tree sorts this out by simply blocking Vlan 1 on this interface.

I can appreciate wanting to seperate the voice from the data. I was going to suggest using A as your bridge link...but I am confused and it is me, I apologize. What I think I am understanding is that you have Bridge group 1 on both radio0 and radio1 interfaces and you have subinterfaces for vlan 1 on radio0 and vlan2 on radio2. So spanning tree blocking vlan 1 on the vlan2 subinterface on radio1 somehow makes all that work?

I still don't understand the importance of the native Vlan or its purpose, I dont get bridge groups other than AP's dont actually trunk, I understand the concept of spanning tree, but am vague on the practicality of it and why is that easier than only sending one main trunk across the bridge?

I'm totally lost here...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card