cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ethernet bridging over mesh network

PetriSignal
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to extend my wired connection over wireless mesh network. There are multiple vlans in the network. Management is vlan 333. Vlans 17 and 50 are used for Voice and Data.

Access points are online.

1. I have unchecked VLAN transparency in the global mesh configuration

2. I have enabled Ethernet Bridging for all APs

3. I configured switchports as a trunk with native vlan 333 in both ends of the LAN (connected to the RAP and MAP)

4. I configured RAP's and MAP's ports as a trunk with native vlan 333 and added vlans 17 and 50

5. I connected a switch to the mesh AP.

Tagged vlans 17 and 50 will work fine, but I can't access the switch in vlan 333. Is there something that I'm missing?

---[switch in vlan 333]----[RAP] ~~~~~~~~[MAP]----[switch in vlan 333]--[client in vlan 17/50]

WLC4404 and code is 7.0.240.3. APs are AIR-LAP1522.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can the switch ping the gateway?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I don't have any IT guys onsite until Monday. I'll ask them to test.

I can't ping the device from the controller or from the other switch, so I guess the vlan 333 is not working at all.

Would it be an option to make up some vlan id just for the native vlan use and then add vlan 333 as tagged?

With Ethernet bridging, the native vlan gets tunneled back to the WLC and is also the vlan the the RAP is assigned to. So if the RAP is on a trunk port with native vlan 333, then the switch on the other end also should be on native vlan 333.

-Scott

Both switchports have the same config. Native vlan is set to 333.

Take a look at this link

https://supportforums.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadBody/22077-102-1-54267/Mesh%20Ethernet%20Bridging-%20why%20native%20vlan%201%20-%20jkeown.pptx

-Scott

Very nice write-up Scott.

Thank you for your help. Your document pretty much explains it all.

vlad.mihailov
Level 1
Level 1

I think VLAN333 in this case will not be passed at the other side of the wireless bridge. I never fully investigated why but I have seen this issue before.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card