Cisco Support Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

New Member

Ethernet Cable??

What type of Ethernet cable do I use to connect my end device to the workgroup bridge?


New Member

Re: Ethernet Cable??

I use a straight-through (regular) ethernet cable (CAT5) to connect my access-point to switch or hub.

You will need to use a x-over cable if you want to connect your access-point directly to a PIX firewall or router.

I hope this helps...


Re: Ethernet Cable??

In our network we have used CAT5 cable and it works very fine.

New Member

Re: Ethernet Cable??

If you are going to connect an end station to a workgroup bridge without the use of a hub or switch, you will need an ethernet crossover cable.

New Member

Re: Ethernet Cable??

hi all:

i have an 802.11b network in my neighborhood. i have a 350 access point that picks up the signal. this 350 access point is located on my desk adjacent to my dell dimension pc. i would like to connect the 350 access point directly to my pc but cannot figure out how to do this. (i have no networking experience). as a solution, i've attached a netgear 802.11b wireless usb adapter to my pc and it's essentially serving as a way for me to "connect" the 350 to my pc, but it seems logical to me that there would be a way to connect the 350 directly to my pc without a bridge/router type thing. can somebody help me out? feel free to email me at



New Member

Re: Ethernet Cable??

What you are trying to do cannot be done with an access point, to connect directly to your PC you would need a workgroup bridge not an access point.

But if the AP picks up the signal have you tried removing it and trying to receive the signal directly with your 802.11b wireless usb adapter, maybe using a more powerful antenna.

Please remember one basic

Please remember one basic network connecting devices rule through cable-

Straight Thru- Connecting Devices of different layers..Eg Switch and Router

Cross Over- Connecting Devices of same layer ..Eg Switch and Switch

CreatePlease login to create content