Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

export import the conf from 1 to a 2nd WLC?

Hello i have now 2 WLC, 1 will be backup of the other (1 in the US, the other in  europe, both are connected in the network), same version both of them, i need to have the exact same config on each of them.

The one in europe is in prod since few years, the one in the US is the new one (not configured yet).

What is the best way? --> export the conf of the one in prod, and reimport it on the backup one... then change IP@... ? is it the best way to do?

Thanks for your help.

B

7 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: export import the conf from 1 to a 2nd WLC?

HI,

One way:

Yes you can do it.

Only requirement is to have same veriso on both WLC.

Step1: Backup from first WLC and restore to the other then change management interface IP

Step2: if anything you need to change then you can (e.eg- country code or....)

Best way will be check the config again on the new controller(reimported WLC).

2nd Way:

You can configure Manually(Not so much to do) and if you have Prime Infra or WCS the you can import all the templates.

My Recommandation: Configuring the same manually is the best practice..

Reagrds

Hall of Fame Super Silver

I prefer making a backup and editing the backup and uploading to the new WLC. Sometimes the upload will fail and you will have to edit more than the hostname and the IP's. You will get an error saying the backup failed because of an encryption. The fix is that you might have to delete the usernames and manually enter those in the configuration without being encrypted. This has been something I have had to do recently with the later code versions
Also you need to make sure you have a trailing white space at the end of each command or else that command will not take.

If this becomes painful and the code just doesn't upload without an error. Then configure it manually and then when you are done, compare the backup images on both WLC's to make sure you have everything.

Just to note, I never design a backup that would cross any bug body of water. Your best bet is to have two in Europe and two WLC's in the US. You can get an HA sku WLC for cheap and use AP SSO or N+1. These HA sku WLC provide redundancy and are cheaper because they don't require you to purchase licenses.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for those answer.

FOr you what is the best way to get the full config? a tftp or thru the web GUI, 'downlaod"... ?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

You can use the GUI to download and upload code using TFTP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
VIP Purple

Hi

This post should help you

http://mrncciew.com/2013/01/25/backup-restore-wlc-configs/

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

You just need to perform a back as normally we get it by tftp.

change the ip address of the controller.

Note : while uploading the europe's WLC configuration to US WLC just remove the controller from network as the IP confilict will happen

Hall of Fame Super Gold

1 will be backup of the other (1 in the US, the other in  europe, both are connected in the network), same version both of them, i need to have the exact same config on each of them.

Won't work.

This is because the regulatory domain of the APs in Europe and US are different.  If, for example, your European AP joins the US-based controllers (or vice versa), then either the APs won't join the controllers or the 802.11a/n radios will be disabled.

As Scott has recommended, the best practice is to "bunch up" the APs based on the AP's regulatory domain.  So get WLCs for US regulatory domain (-A) and get another set of WLC for Europe (-E).

And by the way, just in case some smart a$$ bean counter should even venture about installing US regulatory domain AP in Europe, I recommend you talk to legal department because this is against the law of the land where the AP will be installed.

Views
Helpful
Replies