Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

External Wi-Fi in the UK

I am currently looking at installing some external access points so I can provide true outside Wi-Fi.

The problem is I cannot use certain channels outside. Now, I wanted to use my existing wireless controller for these access points but seeing as the channel selection is global I seem to have a dilema:

1) I disable the channels I cannot use on the controller, thus disabling them for all my inside APs as well.

2) I purchase another controller, specifically for any external APs.

Am I correct? Or is there another way of doing it?

Thanks

5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

External Wi-Fi in the UK

The problem is I cannot use certain channels outside.

This doesn't make any sense.  If, by law, you are not allowed to use certain channels then setting your WLC to the correct country code (UK) the WLC will choose the allowed channels.

External Wi-Fi in the UK

I would agree if the controller had a concept of what was an external access point and an indoor access point. The problem is the controller doesn't, so you select the channels to use based on your country code. However, this assumes that all access points are going to be inside.

External Wi-Fi in the UK

Hi,

The channel restrictions in the UK are the same for bith indoor and outdoor access points.

Thanks

Chris

External Wi-Fi in the UK

I was under the impression that Band A channels (36,40,44,48,52,56,60,64) were for indoor use only?

Re: External Wi-Fi in the UK

So the WLC does have knowledge of what an Internal and External AP are, technically.

If you look at the 1550-E specs:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps11451/data_sheet_c78-641373.html

-E Domain:

• 2.401 to 2.4835 GHz; 13 channels

• 5.470 to 5.725 GHz; 8 channels

Now, if you were to install an Indoor AP outside, that liability is on the company that installed the AP.  Not the WLC.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content