cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firewall ports for WCS to talk to controllers

dgnani
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WCS on one side of a firewall, and a controller on the other side. What ports and protocols would I need to open in the firewall to allow the WCS to manage the controller? All I can find is info on what ports to open for a client to access the WCS. Thanks for any help!!

4 Replies 4

matthiasgoodman
Level 1
Level 1

I believe that you should only need to open the SNMP ports, which are 161 and 162 UDP.

I contacted the TAC and this is what they came back with (and is working). Hope it helps somebody!

80: HTTP--optional

443:HTTPS

22: SSH

23: Telnet--optional

161: SNMP Get

162: SNMP Set

16666: Mobility Tunnel (UDP)

16667: Mobility Tunnel Secured.--optional (UDP)

Very useful, but missing 69,21 which are used for TFTP/FTP

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When there is a conflicting port in use, WCS fails to get started with just the error message "Failed to start WCS Server." The WCS requires these ports to be available in the machine:

*Checking for Port 1299 availability... OK
       *Checking for Port 80 availability... OK
       *Checking for Port 443 availability... OK
       *Checking for Port 8009 availability... OK
       *Checking for Port 8456 availability... OK
       *Checking for Port 8457 availability... OK
       *Checking for Port 8005 availability... OK
       *Checking for UDP Port 69 availability... OK
       *Checking for Port 21 availability... OK

Make sure that you do not run other applications on those ports, such as web server (80), TFTP Server (69), or FTP server (21). On a WCS installed on linux, go to WCS/webnms/logs/wcs-0-0.log and look for the conflicting ports. On Windows based WCS, you can run netstat -a from a DOS window to see the listening ports that are used. If this is the case, shut them down and try to restart WCS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: