cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexconnect and DHCP

tahequivoice
Level 2
Level 2

I am curious if this has been tried before.

If ip helper address is used on the gateway interface for the AP management network, and points to the WLC that is serving the IP's, does the WLC send Option 43 to the AP's?  I have been setting up local DHCP pools on the routers for each location, but haven't tried to forward the DHCP requests to the WLC in this type of setup where the WLC is colocated centrally from all the sites.

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The WLC when used as a dhcp server doesn't send Option 43.  If you are trying to use ip helper then you need to also use ip forward protocol udp 12222 and ip forward protocol udp 12223.  This is the way you can forward the join broadcast to the WLC without the need of option 43 or DNS.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

OK I will give that a try. Should be much easier than figuring out the HEX.   Not that I can't do it, I just dont do it enough.

That is how I do it.... I will remove that ip forward protocol after I'm done unless my customers wnat to keep it.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Just to add... Steve also reminded me of UDP 5246 & 5247 if your AP's are CAPWAP:)

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

The WLC in question is a 4402 dinosaur, does that matter?   It has code 6.0.199.

No... Just use UDP 12222 and 12223

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card