Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexconnect static mapping of WLAN to VLAN

jedavis
Level 4
Level 4

5508 running 7.4

I want to create a definition for a particular site that maps WLANs (SSIDs) to switched VLANs.   I know that I can go to Wireless => Select AP => VLAN mappings on an individual AP basis.  But is there a way to create a group that will do this?  I thought it could be done with flexconnect groups but I just could not find a way to make it happen there.  Then I ran across this Architecting Network for Branch Offices with Cisco Unified Wireless Cisco Live presentation:

http://d2zmdbbm9feqrf.cloudfront.net/2013/usa/pdf/BRKEWN-2016.pdf

And on page 28 it states:

AP groups give the ability to statically map Wi-Fi service (WLAN) to VLAN based on physical location

And it then goes on to give a Configuration/VLAN mapping example in which I fail to see where VLANs are mentioned at all.

Is what I am trying to do possible?

Thanks,

-JEff

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

FlexConnect require the WLAN to vlan mapping to be defined. If your WLAN to vlan aping is consistent for all sites, you can create a dynamic interface with the vlan id and map the WLAN to that dynamic interface. By default the FlexConnect AP's will inherent the vlan mappings. If the WLAN to vlan mappings are different per site, you can create dynamic interfaces (not really going to be used) with the vlan's for a site. The. You create an AP Group and place the APs for that site to this group. By default the APs will get the WLAN to ssid mapping. The other way is to define the WLAN to vlan mapping per ap.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott, thanks for the reply

I have a main campus with several different distribution blocks that each use unique VLAN IDs.  And I have about a dozen remote sites that will all use common VLAN IDs.  I am configuring a single SSID (WLAN 2) to be used across all of these locations.  So at my main campus building "A" will have WLAN 2 mapped to VLAN 55 while building "B" will have WLAN 2 mapped to VLAN 65.  At each of the remote sites WLAN 2 needs to be maped to VLAN 15.

So let's say I want to configure the main campus buildings A and B.  I create a dynamic interface for vlan 55 and name it something creative like vlan-55, Likewise for vlan 65.  Then I create an AP group named APG-55, add WLAN 2 to it and add all of my APs in that buliding.  What I don't understand is where the dynamic interface comes into play.  From your explanation it would seem that I need to assoiciate the dynamic interface to an AP group somehow.  What am I missing?

Thanks!

-Jeff

It's just a placeholder or let's say a workaround to pre populate the vlan ID to the WLAN.

-Scott

Hi Scott

I am still not getting it.  So the dynamic interface is associated to the WLAN and not to the AP group?

-Jeff

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is a thread with an excel spreadsheet that you can cut an paste to configure the WLAN to vlan mapping

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2221117

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card