Views
Helpful
Replies

four channel plan on 2.4 radio

wg wireless
Level 1
Level 1

hi

if we want to use 4 channels (FCC Domain) on 2.4GHz band, what should be the recommended channels:

Option 1: 1,4,7,11

Option 2: 1,4,8,11

Please advise urgent...

Thanks,..

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Only Japan is allowed 2.4 Ghz channels up to 14.

If your AP is deployed anywhere else outside Japan, then you'd better follow the regulatory domain.

yes i am taking about USA domain. If somehow we want to use 4 channels what would be the best bet (1,4,7,11) or (1,4,8,11)?

If somehow we want to use 4 channels what would be the best bet (1,4,7,11) or (1,4,8,11)?

If the AP is going to be deployed in the US, then you are not allowed to use 14 channels. 

i am not referring to channel 14 in my question. i am talking about frequency re-use pattern of channels 1 to 11 with four APs (4 channels in range from 1 to 11).

I wouldn't use or allow a four channel pattern at all. You will get more overlap than using a 3 pattern. None of my installs have I ever had a need to even look at doing a four channel deployment. All of my wireless install was implemented using channels 1, 6, 11.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

This will create more interference problem than you think... most of  other 2.4GHz devices will operate in CH1, CH6 & CH11 & everyone of these devices will interfere with two of your channel & each of your AP will interfere with two of those devices.

HTH

Rasika

i am not referring to channel 14 in my question. i am talking about frequency re-use pattern of channels 1 to 11 with four APs (4 channels in range from 1 to 11).

Ok, if this is what you are talking about then I wouldn't recommend any of your "channel plans" because it this is going against technical specifications. 

Exactly what are you trying to accomplish?  Do you have a WLC? 

If you want to minimize co-channel interferrence, you need to look at disabling lower data rates like 11 Mbps and below.  In some cases, you might want to consider disablling 12 Mbps and below and make 18 as Mandatory and make the rest as Supported.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card