Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GARP from WLC virtual interface

Hi all,

As I've outlined in previous posts, we had an MSP assist us with the implementation of a new enterprise wireless LAN. It is now almost in production. I've been using wireshark to identify any services, activity on the guest wireless lan before we move this into production. I'm concerned about exposing our internal infrastructure to the public world! I've covered almost everything off now except I can see the virtual interface (1.1.1.1) GARP'ing for the ip addresses assigned to the wireless AP's.

Obviously the controller needs to maintain communication with the AP's but I have the AP's separated from the guest wireless i.e the AP's exist on 10.1.19.x/24 and the wireless guest is 10.1.13.x/24. When sniffing on the guest wireless I am seeing GARP packets for the ip addresses of the access points?

Is this expected behaviour and can you switch this off?

Thanks,

Darren

Everyone's tags (2)
5 REPLIES

Re: GARP from WLC virtual interface

You probably have the dhcp proxy feature enable. This works almost like ip helper on switches.

You can try disabling the dhcp proxy and test (providing that ap can still get ips from dhcp while dhcp proxy is disabled)

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Cisco Employee

Hey Saravanan,

Thanks for your comment.

I've checked the version of software we are running on the controllers and we are running 'Software Version 7.2.103.0'.

Hey Amjad,

I'm assuming I go to Controller -> Advanced -> DHCP -> Enable Proxy Arp, and untick this option?

If this is the case I have tried this but am still seeing GARP packets coming from the 'virtual' interface. The MAC address that is associated with this interface is the source.

Thanks,

Darren

Cisco Employee

Re: GARP from WLC virtual interface

in general, if you have AAA over-ride or AP group configured on wlc then this bleeding is expected due to the nature of its requirement.

Thank you for your answer!

Thank you for your answer!

So with aaa override or AP group I still get GARPs?

Can you explain for my understanding why I need them for those features?

Regards 

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content