cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

General WCS question

Cisco1619
Level 1
Level 1

I have two questions about my WCS / WLC that I have not been able to really get a firm understanding on. Any input would be appreciated greatly!

1- When setting up the maps, it askes about the floor height. I have not been able to figure out what that excactly means. Does that mean the height from the floor to the ceiling, or the height from the floor to the AP antennas?

2- The second question is, can you set RRM to maintain a minimum signal strength? What would be the "default" value that it attempts to maintain. My questions stems from seeing that most of my APs are at power level 8. My signal strength varies in the mid -70s. Is there a way to tell it to try to boost power and try to maintain a -67 voice grade level?

Thank you!

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let me try answering this:)

1- When setting up the maps, it askes about the floor height. I have not been able to figure out what that excactly means. Does that mean the height from the floor to the ceiling, or the height from the floor to the AP antennas?

This is floor to ceiling used as a reference for the floor. Typically the ap is mounted that high, but you don't need to exact as this is only for reference and not calculations.

2- The second question is, can you set RRM to maintain a minimum signal strength? What would be the "default" value that it attempts to maintain. My questions stems from seeing that most of my APs are at power level 8. My signal strength varies in the mid -70s. Is there a way to tell it to try to boost power and try to maintain a -67 voice grade level?

You would do this on the WLC under the Wireless tab and in each of the radio. Under the TPC setting you can set the max and min power level assignments. This will prevent the ap from using the max TX and from going below a value you don't want the AP's to be at.

Max you can set to 17dbi and min you can try 11dbi or 14dbi. Seems like you have enough coverage to go to 11dbi with no issues. You can go to 8dbi, but I don't like to set it to low as clients will not associate to AP's at a low TX rate.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

harvisin
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

The answer to your first question for the height is floor to ceiling. and for your second query I wold say that you can do this on the WLC under the Wireless tab and in each of the radio. Under  the TPC setting you can set the max and min power level assignments.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card