Views
Helpful
Replies

getting an ip address with a Cisco Aironet 1130 AG Series

swymeersch
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I've configured our new AP and encountered the following problem.

When people from other offices come to my office and try to connect to my ap they pick up the wireless network but they don't get an ip address in our range.

I can't find out why it's not assigning the right ipaddress to the laptops once they try to connect.

It would be great if someone could help me out.

Thanks a lot!

Sofie

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Is it possible that the IP address on the client has been hard coded?

Or, is the address they're getting something like 169.254.X.X ?

If you're getting a 169 address, that means that the DHCP is timing out and they're getting a default address that Microsoft assigns.

If they're not getting the 169 address, and it's not in your range of assigned addresses, then it almost has to be a hard-coded address (or you have a rogue DHCP server somewhere on your network).

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott,

It is the default Windows Ip-address that they get assigned.

Do you know why this would happen and how i can solve this?

Thanks,

Sofie

johnruffing
Level 4
Level 4

There is a way to forward DHCP requests from the wireless clients, through the WLC to the DHCP server. The WLC needs to be configured to do this by pointing it to the DHCP help address of the network.

... or DHCP can be setup on the WLC so that the WLC distributes IP addresses over its own DHCP server (you will need to coordinate this so as not conflict with your network's DHCP server).

... also, version 4.0 can now issue DHCP addresses for the access points as well as clients.

Hope this helps,

JR

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card