cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting "Configure VLAN" message when enabling SSO redundancy on 5508 WLC?

pilcher
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

We are installing a secondary 5508 HA-SKU WLC under software version 8.0.100.

After configuring the primary 5508 (redundancy management ip, peer redundancy management ip, etc) we get the message "Please configure Redundancy Management VLAN before enabling redundancy" when we select SSO enabled.  The redundancy management ips are in the same VLAN as the management ip and this is the default untagged VLAN. What have I missed?

John.

16 Replies 16

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check this link and correct your config:

http://networkguy.de/?p=558

REegards

This link is not for 8.0 software.

Ralph Olsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi John,

If you can please try to change the config to use tagged vlan for Management (Redundancy Management) and try again. Please keep me posted if this solves the problem.

Regards

Ralph

Rod Kreutz
Level 1
Level 1

John...I'm, having a similiar problem - did you get around this?

You need to tag the management interface with a VLAN ID. 

In 8.0 SSO is only supported on tagged management and redundancy management interface.

(It is still allowed in untagged mode if you upgrade from a SSO 7.x setup to 8.0).

Regards

Ralph

You nailed it Ralph - changed redundancy management interface to tagged and it works. Thanks for your help!

when you change the redundancy management interface to be tagged with management vlan ID, you should not able to ssh on the controller ?

The SSH capabilities are not affected by the adding of tag to the management interface.

i tried to tag the management interface with the management Vlan ID, but i found

the network connectivity down (ping is request time out).

i have Cisco WISM2 with version 8.0

Remember the Native Vlan on the 6500 side must be different from the Management id.

wism module x controller 1 native-vlan zzz

Hi Ralph,

We're running 8.0 in a  WLC 8500 series but nor tagged nor untagged interface is working. This are the scenarios we have tested:

1. management interface tagged + switchport trunk tagged + HA tagged + switchport trunk tagged = SSO not working
  2. management interface tagged + switchport trunk tagged + HA untagged + switchport access = SSO not working
  3. management interface untagged + switchport trunk native vlan + HA untagged + switchport access = SSO not working

No scenario is working and in cases 1 and 2 we have lost the associated APs as they only recover in case 3.

In parallel, after enabling tagged interface in management, the "show ip arp" of the switch shows the IP through the HA interface and the ping is lost outwards WLC and inwards.

Any suggestion?

Regards.

Hi,

your Management interface should be tagged with a VLAN and the switchport connecting that interface should be running 802.1q trunk. Ensure that the native VLAN is not the VLAN your WLC management is on.

The RP port should ideally be a direct cable from 8510 to 8510. If you are using a VLAN ensure that it is not used for anything else. Run spanning-tree portfast and switchport mode access on the switch interface. 

What kind of error do you get when building your SSO?

Regards

Ralph

While I understand that untagged mode is allowed if you upgrade from an SSO 7.X setup to 8.0; I would like to understand why this is so?  Does the upgrade automatically enable tagging for management interface and if so, how does it know which vlan ID to tag it with?

How does one account for SSO 7.X setup with existing Native VLAN setting matching management interface on trunked interface if it cannot be the same after WLC is upgraded to 8.0?

Regards,
Matt

Hi Matt,

the upgrade doesn't change the configuration regarding management interface tagging.

Untagged will remain untagged. BUT; If you break the SSO in 8.x and try to enable it again you will get an error message because the SSO-Enable command will check your management interface.

You can keep your config if you expect it to run forever and never crash, but I'll recommend that you break the SSO and change the Management interface to be tagged.

Good Luck.

/Ralph

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: