Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Guest Access through the Controller

We have a controller setup for Guest access.  Basically a admin creates a id and password for a user.  This gets them "guest " access to our network out a "guest" vlan.  This works fine but the user's authentication to the Guest Network timesout after 30 minutes.  It doesn't matter if they are working or idle. 

I have checked the settings that I know which are idle timeout and session timeout.  These seem to be global commands and they are set for our company network also.  Of course we have not problems on that side.  What could be causing the issue with the 30 minute timeout on the Guest Network?  Could it have something do do with a SSID never really gets placed on their pc just a login and password?

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Guest Access through the Controller

The session timer must be a higher value than the idle timer. For guest if it's WebAuth, try setting the session timer to 8 or so hours and the idle timer to 2-4 hours.

There is nothing else on the WLC that would timeout the client unless they loose network connectivity.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
VIP Purple

Guest Access through the Controller

HI Trachy,

The session timeout means that your authenticated user session expires in 1800 seconds, it is not an activity or idle timeout.  So depending on your authentication method, this could cause your client to disconnect, I typically set this to 28800 (8 hours) unless the client has a specific requirement to re-authenticate more often.

In order to access the session timeout parameter, click the WLANs menu in the GUI. It displays the list of WLANs configured in the WLC. Click the WLAN to which the client belongs. Go to the Advanced tab and you find Enable Session Timeout parameter. Change the default value to 28800, and click Apply for the changes to take effect.

Session timeout is not a global setting its per wlan basis.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content