Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest Anchor N+1: Failover Time

cedar_lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Wireless Experts,

Wondering if any one tested how fast a foreign WLC would detect an internet guest anchor WLC went down and switch the internet traffic to the EoIP tunnel to the other guest anchor WLC?

From the end user experience, I assume the guests would expect service interruption and a new login screen to reconnect. Is it correct?

Thanks

Cedar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Technically yeah, but if you disconnect one of your guest anchors, you will see the mobility go down sooner than 30 seconds. Well at least what I remember:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Usually it will switch once the mobility is shown as down.  The foreign wlc will then have to send the traffic to the other anchor WLC and if your using webauth or possibly a different subnet, then that is the amount of time it will take.  WebAuth, the clients will have to authenticate again.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Thanks Scott.

If the mobility anchor config is using default setting, ie 3 pings with 10 sec interval, it will take approximately 30 seconds to detect the anchor is unreachable and send traffic to the other anchor. Is it correct?

Thanks,

Cedar

Technically yeah, but if you disconnect one of your guest anchors, you will see the mobility go down sooner than 30 seconds. Well at least what I remember:)

-Scott

Thanks again Scott.

Cedar

No problem. I think there is nothing you really can do especially with WebAuth. If a failure requires the foreign to put traffic to another WLC, then clients have to login again. May times they will not know until they open a browser. So nothing really simple.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card