cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest data switching from 8510 controller for multiple branch sites.

ammahend
VIP
VIP

I have many sites all in Flexconnect, controller by 8510 controller, is it possible for GUEST to do central data switching.

I know authentication can be done centrally.

Thank you

-hope this helps-
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

if you're going to centralize the data of the Guest, then the remote site VLAN doesn't matter. The traffic will be sent across the CAPWAP tunnel to the WLC and ingress/egress there. So you only need to define the interface on the SSID, to whichever interface is the guest VLAN.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you can centralize the data usage of the Guest WLAN. Under the WLAN don't check the FlexConnect enabled box. 

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

will it work even if the AP is in hreap mode ??

-hope this helps-

yes sir, it will

HTH,
Steve

I might have some something wrong with my testing then, I will test again, I put a post last week that was not about GUEST but about normal DATA WLAN and i think someone replied it can't be done.

-hope this helps-

That was me. 

But the Guest would be one VLAN, for all sites, which is different from that post

Steve

HTH,
Steve

right,  guest would be one vlan say vlan 10 for all sites but since each site is seperate by L3 link, each site would have a different subnet for that Vlan 10, so on the controller, which interface subnet would I tie the GUEST ssid with ??

If i don't care about subnet, and on controller maps guest to subnet say 10.10.10.0/24 then it gets locally switches and School 1 guest users get an IP 10.10.10.1 and school 2 guest user gets an IP 10.10.10.2, which creates routing challenge.

-hope this helps-

if you're going to centralize the data of the Guest, then the remote site VLAN doesn't matter. The traffic will be sent across the CAPWAP tunnel to the WLC and ingress/egress there. So you only need to define the interface on the SSID, to whichever interface is the guest VLAN.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

Thanks for the reply.

-hope this helps-

you know I am still seeing the same issue, with AP in flex connect mode and WLAN not enabled for local switching it does not even show up the SSID, may be its a bug I am using old gear to test this out, but I will test this on new gear.

-hope this helps-

do you have AP groups enabled?

HTH,
Steve

what I have is below :

USER---AP---SW---ROUTER1----WAN---ROUTER2----SW---CONTROLLER

AP in Hreap, ssid GUEST , wlan id 17, mapped to interface 10.10.10.1 in vlan 10, gateway is router1 which is 10.10.10.100. router 1 is also DHCP server, WLAN is not enabled for local switching.

I don't see the SSID.

no AP groups.

-hope this helps-

sorry typo router 2 is gateway and router 2 is dhcp.

-hope this helps-

Guest is wlan id 17.

You have to use AP group to get a WLAN above 16 to show on an AP.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

this was the last post.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12192231/centralized-multiple-sites

-hope this helps-
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card