Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guest Wifi Solution for Hotel Industry

My Management wants me to work on Wireless network deployment for 500 users (Hotel Business). We are looking for centralized approach with single WLC in our head office and Remote AP in Branch office with following SSIDs
A)GuestInternet ( Day Visitors  - Free)
B)MemberInternet (In house Guest - User Charge after consuming 500MB data)
C)StaffInternet (Corporate user)

Is it possible to provide:
1) Wireless solution with One WLC
2) Monitor data usage per client
3) Limit data usage after consuming 500MB data

Could you please share some documentation on the same.

Thanks,

Himanshu

10 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Hi himansu,

Yes you can.

1.You need to look on HREAP/ Flexconnect philosophy. by this you can centrally managed with one WLC  from HQ and all other brach office need APs.

H-Reap Design and Deployment Guide

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/71250-h-reap-design-deploy.html

2. You need 5508 WLC or other WLC (not 2504), thorugh that you can limit bandwidth for each user.

3. You can create diff ssid for guest and corporate and assign the seetings accordingly.

H-REAP Modes of Operation Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/81680-hreap-modes.html

Hope it helps.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thanks Sandeep, How can I segregate Guest and Satff users..

1) Can we do it on Controller.

2) Should I go with some authentication hardware as well... RADIUS/ISE as Loe Suggested in his post.

3) How will be the traffic flow for Guest and Staff users... 

4) Any additional Firewall is required or our existing firewall will be sufficient.

VIP Purple

Hi Himanshu,

It will be better to go with RADIUS (ISE) server.

Cisco ISE is a security policy management and control platform. It automates and simplifies access control and security compliance for wired, wireless, and VPN connectivity. Cisco ISE is primarily used to provide secure access and guest access.

By ISE you can define a policy that Staff user will go to LAN and all other user will go to outside(Internet)

If you already have a firewall then its enough.

Here are docs you can look at:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-vlan/70937-guest-internal-wlan.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Borderless_Networks/Unified_Access/BYOD_Design_Guide/BYOD_Guest_Wireless_Access.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Borderless_Networks/Smart_Business_Architecture/February2012/SBA_Ent_BN_BYOD-GuestWirelessAccessDeploymentGuide-February2012.pdf

Hope it helps.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Hall of Fame Super Silver

To be honest, in the hospitality, you should use a 3rd party solution for login, bandwidth monitoring, throttle, etc.  many companies like PurpleWiFi and other companies out there do a better job.  The Cisco wireless basically is used for the wirfi, but these appliances/software, handle stuff on the background.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Hall of Fame Super Gold

1) Wireless solution with One WLC

Yes.  This is can be done.  We have ONE SSID presented and we use Dot1X to "throw" users into the correct VLANs (Staff, Student, Guest, Isolation, BYOD).  The main issue you have is if you don't have any background or knowledge in PERL scripting or FreeRADIUS then a solution like Cisco ISE will blow your budget beyond your wildest imagination.

We don't use Cisco ISE.  We use PERL scripting with FreeRADIUS and F5 to fully complete our 802.1X and it took about 18 months of testing and development.

My opinion is this:  If you don't know what you are doing, get it done professionally.  During the handover (and before the payments are made), make sure you EXTENSIVELY test the solutions.

Re: Guest Wifi Solution for Hotel Industry

You can hire Leo:)

Another solution is Nomadix.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Silver

yes Leo is right this can be easly done using the third party tools where you can monitor generate reports and assign quotas for users and charge them.

These two points you have

2) Monitor data usage per client

Has to be done on a 3rd party platform. Manufactures like Nomadix and PurpleWiFi specialize in this vertical along with restaurants. Is you want guests access but not have the ability of setting a 500mb cap, or monitor each user traffic, then you can just go with the WLC alone or add a radius server. You need to know what Cisco equipment can do for you and not do and make a decision. These 3rd party tools and there is probably some free Linux based ones out there can offer more flexibility when it comes to guest wifi hotspot.

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Y'know Scott, that's one LOW value.

Personally, if it's that low (500 mb), I'd rather NOT offer free wifi.

But then again, I've seen some Australian deployment of free wifi where they set the value at 2 Gb and all you have to do is turn off your wireless and turn it back on and you've got another 2 Gb quota.

Haha... It's a 5 minute free wifi for me:)

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content